Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trail Tacks

Old 04-13-2021, 04:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why would there be a need to litter the woods with ribbons if it is light enough to see them?
Old 04-13-2021, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Why would there be a need to litter the woods with ribbons if it is light enough to see them?
Not littering the woods. Marking the trail. When it's still pretty dark, the white flagging stands out. Plus as it flutters in the breeze, it's easier to spot against a dark woods.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is littering the woods and in my state you can be charged fir it on public lands. Hard to believe a hunter could not find their way to their own stand if it is light outside, not to mention other people finding your stand.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used to use tacks but don't anymore. The reason I don't is that other hunters see them and either remove them or find your stand and do things to ruin it. I always lock my stand but I've had tree ladders and lifelines stolen from my stands. I've also had slobs take a dump right at my tree! I even had a guy in my stand once when I was going in for an afternoon hunt.
Too many people today have no respect for others and some are just plain unethical.
If I hang my stand in a new location, rather than using tacks I reposition large branches on the ground that point to the direction I need to go. I'll also break a limb and let it hang. In the early fall when leaves are still green the broken limb will have brown leaves.

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-13-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

So how many noticed someone pulled up a 16 year old thread so they could advertise for free?
Old 05-09-2022, 06:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
What you should be worrying about is being that poor a hunter and woodsman that you have to stick tacks in trees to find your own stand. Very poor form!
It’s another measure of safety to ensure a safe hunt. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by zak123.
It’s another measure of safety to ensure a safe hunt. Nothing wrong with that.
If they are used on property that isn't yours, they are indeed litter, so are ribbons and other junk that people use to find their way to their stand in the dark. There are things called gps's that will allow those with poor woodsmanship to find their stand in the dark instead of littering the land.