Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bug Repellant

Old 09-12-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Bug Repellant

Hey everybody,
I am going to bowhunt this weekend, and I hope to keep chiggars and ticks off of me by spraying. I have a can of repellant that claims to be odorlesswith a touch of "earth scent". Myquestion is: will this be harmfulby spooking deer?Is itreliable that it is odorless? I think maybesomeof you have used repellants while deer hunting before.Thanks
Old 09-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bug Repellant

I don't know..trial and error I guess..but keep us posted on the results
Old 09-12-2005, 06:39 PM

Personally, I think the "odorless" stuff stinks worse than the "scented" stuff. LOL.....I haven't found anything that is truely odorless. I would say the best thing is to get bug proof clothing.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

no stinkin' bugs....awesome stuff.just ordered 2 bottles of it in case i forget to bring my thermacell
Old 09-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

If they smell the bug spray then they are smelling you and you misjudged the wind. Don't jack with their nose.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntnma

no stinkin' bugs....awesome stuff.just ordered 2 bottles of it in case i forget to bring my thermacell
yeah my first choice is my thermacell but i have heard that the no stinkin bugs works too. i haven't used it but i know people who have.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:37 PM

Hey I appreciate your replies, I think I will try the repellant, and make sure i play the wind as best as I can. I know one thing-I have chiggars all over my lower half right now from last weekend, and I don't want to add any more. Good luck to all the rest of you folks.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

repel makes a spray you can apply the night before to your clothes it has permamone ?spelling works great for ticks.the can is orangish
Old 09-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have used the no stinkin bugs junk. And it is just that........ junk.

It doesn't do anything better than any other bug spray and if you sweat alot you may as well forget about even applying it cause it won't make it five minutes. I once used an entire bottle on one days hunt and got ate up by skeeters the entire time I was hunting.

The thermacell is the best bug repellant made.

If you got chiggers bad you might want to try Rino Skins. I have not used them personally but I have heard good things about them.
http://www.rynoskin.com/

Another trick to keep chiggers out is to tape up the cuff of your pants to your boot. There is also a product made by Buckwing that does the same thing.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=39649&hvarDept=400&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=15&hvarSubCode =6&hvarTarget=browse
Old 09-13-2005, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow, i can't believe you said that about no stinkin bugs,i mean i believe you, but i have never had a problem with it, maybe your bottle was old, lol............

Quick Reply: Bug Repellant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.