Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Crossbow vs. Compound...opinions? >

Crossbow vs. Compound...opinions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossbow vs. Compound...opinions?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

If you have a local archery shop take your bow there,so they can set it up properly for you!If they cannot change that specific bows draw length etc.Then looks like ur in the market for a new bow or crossbow.While ur there ask them to shoot a crossbow and a bow setup for u,draw length etc.U will see very quickly what u prefer!
1st,a bow is quiet when shot,allowing for a easy second shot if necessary.And when setup properly are VERY accurate!!
Now when u shoot a crossbow in the woods it sounds like u just hit the tree with a WIFFLE BALL BAT!!!And anything in the area is taking off!!So u get one shot,they are very hard to reload etc with the movement involved,in no way can it be reloaded as smooth and as stealthy as a bow.Plus u have to fire a bolt out of it to unload it!! which gets anoying after not getting a shot that day!So u have to have a bolt with a field tip dont unload it/shoot it off in the woods cause anything nearby will get spooked and ruin that spot they will avoid ur area.remember ?A whiffle ball bat hitting a tree!lol.I can say after owning both,U will have more fun with a bow,at least i do even though i have my excalibur crossbow dialed in where i cant shoot at the same spot twice cause i will ruin my arrows,But i have my bows dialed in the same way also!If you want to be a archer,buy a bow,if u are a gun hunter get a short range gun a crossbow.
(its all personal preference!)Good luck,and have fun...
Old 04-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

LOL,WOW!!!!
MY Kids right!I am GETTING OLD!!
Just seen the date of this thread its from 2005!!!LOL..
Old 04-14-2010, 06:02 AM
Spike

One thing to consider....in some places, crossbows are not legal to hunt with unless you are disabled.

Personally I don't care what you go with as long as you introduce as many people as you can to the sport once you get good at it!

Best of luck to you.

Kg
Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't go to the Dark Side. Set yourself up with a nice fitted compound! Goodluck in your quest!

hatchet Jack
Old 09-14-2012, 05:41 AM
Spike

Go with a compound. It is quieter and more challenging. Be a bowhunter, if you wanna use a scope you might as well hunt with a rifle. Cross bows are not challenging, set them on a rest and you dont have to worry about breathing or none of that, its not a challenge. I tried the whole crossbow thing and it wasnt the same.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
Don't go to the Dark Side. Set yourself up with a nice fitted compound! Goodluck in your quest!

hatchet Jack
Hey now whats wrong with the dark side lol.

I just recently got a crossbow and love shooting it more than my compound. I guess to each his own.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

i know this thread is old, very old. But why do compound shooters bash xbow users? They are very related. They can both launch arrows at nearly the same speed,and about the same range. the only advantage a xbow gets it that you can use a rest, if you choose. Most of the time they will probably be shooting off hand. trad shooters should come bash the xbow bashers.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:27 AM
Spike

I think we have a SPAMER.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

you can actually have fun with either, i have shot compound all my life, i bought a 10 point crossbow last year, took it out and shot an 8 point, so i got my notch in it, traded in my bowtech tribute this year and got an insanity, now im shooting compound every day, i will say i missed taking my compound last year, and the crossbow wasnt near as challenging in the field.... good luck..
Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Spike

Crossbows are for sissys.