Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gettin better, but not always consistent >

Gettin better, but not always consistent

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gettin better, but not always consistent

Old 09-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gettin better, but not always consistent

Im finally getting to where I can get 3 inch groups most of the time at 20 yds. Sometimes it seems like I am in the zone, but other times they start going all over the place. I keep trying to remember the basics (same anchor point, etc). Also, I was having a horrible time keeping the bow steady until I developed my shooting muscles. Now I can do pretty well until I get tired.. then the shots start going to the right (I am right-handed shooter) or sometimes all over.

I think I have figured out that after lots of shooting, you start to focus less on the conscious aspect of shooting, and more on the instinctive. I know I need to keep practicing and focusing on the basics, but does this sound right? If anyone can give me tips on improving I would appreciate.

Sky
Old 09-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gettin better, but not always consistent

man, i was just going to post the same problem. sometimes my group is tight enough that i hear the arrow hiiting another in the target. then it all goes to s#!t. i dont think mine problem is the bow i sure it is me. arrow flight looks great. and i've done the walk back test out to 30 yards. i also have aproblem with my left shoulder and neck muscles from an old work injury so i have to limit my shooting to about 15 rounds of 3 arrows
Old 09-10-2005, 04:58 PM

To join the crowd, it's the same way with me. I took it out a few days ago and hit dead center from 30 yards or so. The next day I tried again, and I was all over the place. Then I went back to being perfectly accurateThen yesterday I went haywire again.

All of which explains why I'm sitting here instead of enjoying the first day of bowseason out in the woods. DARG. [:@]
Old 09-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think I have figured out that after lots of shooting, you start to focus less on the conscious aspect of shooting, and more on the instinctive.
I would agree totally. When you get to the point where you don't have to tell yourself to follow your shot sequence but instead you just do it then you know you have made it.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

I think the problem is your shooting till you get tired and when you shoot tired you tend to not focuse as well, and you will eventuly start to form bad shooting habits, shot till you start missing your mark, then give it a rest for an hour or so, and start over, I think you will find things starting to fall into place then. This same thing happend to me when I first started to bowhunt,,And I am sure it happend to most of the guys in here. Take you time and don't push your self to hard...Good luck, I hope that helps..
Old 09-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with bowfreak4life.......
Old 09-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Great tips, thanks. Bow season started yesterday in GA. I will be out there every chance I get, and practicing in my backyard between hunts.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:05 PM

I agree. Once I start getting tired, the shots are not as accurate. Once I have rested for a while, I am fine again.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think my problem is I get too worked up over form and trying to be consistant with it. I think about it soo much thatI mess up. If I don't I seem to shoot better. I find myself thinking about anchor point,hand grip and trigger pull when I pull back my bow. Somedays I hit so close that I tear my fletching with other arrows. Other days I hit all around the target.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Relax ,this is suppose to be fun not a contest

Quick Reply: Gettin better, but not always consistent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.