Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 525 lb. Bruin @ 30 yrds. w/ Slick Trick Broadhead - Photos >

525 lb. Bruin @ 30 yrds. w/ Slick Trick Broadhead - Photos

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

525 lb. Bruin @ 30 yrds. w/ Slick Trick Broadhead - Photos

Old 09-14-2005, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 525 lb. Bruin @ 30 yrds. w/ Slick Trick Broadhead - Photos

Hey looks can be decieving this is a 8.1 smallmouth that one it's category on the freshwater fishing forum.

Well it won't come up
Old 09-14-2005, 08:19 PM

BearGuy, Antlerchaser, Doublecreek, Nubo and anyone else who doubted and questioned the 525 lb. weight of my son's bear....... please read on. I will say at the outset; at this point all bets are now off. []

This is the e-mail I received this evening from my son..

Hi dad.[/align]
[/align]
My bear is back from the butchers. According to the butcher who is very experienced with bears, It is highly unlikely that it weighed 525 lbs.I'm pissed off to say the least and afraid to check the thread on the post.
[/align]
Unless you have some better idea I would suggest a post to this effect:
[/align]
Before I mention any numbers let me just say the sole person standing on the ladder shouting out the weight was Peter Allen of Buck Lake Outfitters.Bears were getting weighed on a 500 lb scale until mine arrived at which time Pete, confident in itssize, insisted on changing to what I believe was a 10,000 lb scale (5,000 atleast)Now the 500 lb scale is a no brainer with 100 lb increments, the 10,000 in 1,000 lb increments with alot of little lines between. [/align]

Well trimmed and hanging for a week my bear weighed 144 lbs.The next biggest bear shot by an American client (sorry Mark I forget your last name)was 400 lbs weighed on the 500 lb scale.At the butchers it weighed 132 lbs.Do the math. Butcher says unless it was absolutely freakish with fat it was not likely525 lbs.So, in all likelyhood, Pete Allen has miss read a 100 lb increment and the bear was 425 lbs.
[/align]
It's not Antlergetter who needs new glasses, it's Pete Allen.And I suggest all bets are off and we all head to Petes and raid his gun cabinet instead.An honest mistake I'm sure, but a little costly in terms of embassment for Goodguy and myself. Thanks Dad for your unconditional support. ( and deepest apologies if you lost any bets because I know what's in that gun safe................................my inheritance!)[/align]

Lesson learned. Thanks all for the great posts andespecially to those who had theexperience and confidence to challenge it.Al [/align]
So there it is. You guys were right. Do I now need to go into hiding? gg
Old 09-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Goodguy !

Don't worry about it ,it's a mistake and your son and yourself took someone's word for it who couldn't read a scale properly .Not a big deal .
But I must say Goodguy I never said a word about the bear's size ,so please leave me out of it ,I can't afford to be on anyone's bad side here .LOL The bear's a great looking bear regardless what anyone think's .congrat's is all I had to say .
Good luck on the moose hunt Goodguy ,I'm sure we'll speak when we all return .

nubo

nubo
Old 09-14-2005, 10:17 PM

Hello Goodguy.
That was quite a post, and it took alot of guts to do. Thankyou!My hat is off to you! Now about them guns...just kidding. Anyway, it is a very nice bear and one to be proud of that is for sure. Ya' got to watch them outfitter guys, they are tricky! haha Just kidding. But some(not many thank goodness) but some do like to embelish a little, some I say, but not all.(just as a little tidbit goodguy, I am a outfitter in Ontariotoo) But again hats off you to for this last post, that took guts.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

It takes a big man to do what you just did. Nice bear and good luck on your moose hunt. I leave next friday myself for 18B.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:36 AM

Heck no you don't need to go into hiding........ If I had to guess it's the Outfitter that was jacking up the weights to make it sound bigger.... It's still a big azz bear any way you look at it..... But a 500lb black bear is a giant....... Those pics just never appeared to be that big to me.......

Thanks for the update Goodguy.......... And it would appear that you are a "good guy"
Old 09-15-2005, 12:10 PM

First dibs on Pete Allens gun cabinet.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 525 lb. Bruin @ 30 yrds. w/ Spitfie Broadhead - Photos

Very nice bear Congrats.