HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What is this animal? Game cam pic (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/111983-what-animal-game-cam-pic.html)

Rick James 09-08-2005 07:36 AM

What is this animal? Game cam pic

So one ofneighbors of our family property in PA got this on his cuddeback.

My logic says it's a bobcat, however the head and rear end don't really look like those I have seen on bobcats in the past. I have spent a lot of time watching them too, last year I had a family w/ a mom and kittens under my stand for several hours.

What do you guys think?

(excuse the T-rex in the background as a joke LOL)

ShadowAce 09-08-2005 07:45 AM

RE: What is this animal? Game cam pic

Oh yeah, that's a Bobcat. And a nice one at that.

callemin 09-08-2005 07:52 AM

I took this pic and bew it up and it looks like the tail is long and curling back and away to make it appear short. I think it may be a mountain lion! I will try to repost the pic later.

ShadowAce 09-08-2005 07:54 AM

Some are short and squatty soome are tall and lean like the one in your pic. Check out the tail. It looks just like your pic.

huntinwv 09-08-2005 07:54 AM

Guess is a bobcat, but man look at the size of that body.

Bowfreak4life 09-08-2005 07:59 AM

That would be a Mountian lion/ Cougar, where was that pic taken? To big to be a bobcat, and the tail is to long and the head is to rounded to be a bobcat..A bob cats ears are more pointed and a cougar they are more rounded... The first pic is a bobcat and the second is a Mt lion also notice the fur a cougars fur is more sleak and the bobcats is moer fluffy, Deffently a Mt.lion

cardeer 09-08-2005 08:00 AM

Bobcat ,but a real nice one.Tailscan vary just like deer can be different colors. I seen regular house cats born with Bob tails why cant a bobcat have a little longer tail. The ears give it away

lcfirechief 09-08-2005 08:03 AM

I gotta agree with bowfreak. The bobcat I took last year, looks nothing like that pic you took. I think the ears are the biggest giveaway on it.

ShadowAce 09-08-2005 08:06 AM

If it were a cougar his tail would have to be pretty far out to the side. look at the tail on the above bobcat pic. It's not that short! Check out the length on this cougar:

huntinwv 09-08-2005 08:09 AM

Cross Breeding??????

YooperMike 09-08-2005 08:10 AM

I would have to say bobcat as well. The black ear tips and the tail tip, as well a length are the defining characteristics for me. That is a real dandy of a cat. My dad shot the UP state record at 49 pounds a few years ago and the one in that pic is all of that big.

PABowhntr 09-08-2005 08:12 AM

At first glass I thought mountain lion though I believe the others are correct in stating that it just a large bobcat.

Bowfreak4life 09-08-2005 08:13 AM

Look at theway it's strideis left back leg forward, cousing the tail to sway to the left and curl,, the pic you have it's just sitting there, tail out streched Compare the two photos and you will see the Heads are exactly the same, rounded, With rounded ears, A bobcats head is more pointed as well as the ears,,

BobCo19-65 09-08-2005 08:14 AM

That sure looks like a cougar to me. I wish we could see the tail a bit better though. It must be one of those ghost cougars that the DEC in NY are denying all over the place. There have been many sigthtings in the Sounthern Tier of NY and PA including one by myself. A guy that lives in an area behind my land even has some hair as proof. But the DEC is very tight lipped and denies any release efforts.

finner 09-08-2005 08:20 AM

Ive seen a cougar before, and everything about this cat looks like one, exceptits tail....it is way too short for a cougar.

I would bet it is Bobcat, with a hell of an appetite...

Bird Hunt Dog 09-08-2005 08:24 AM

My vote goes to the Cougar! Ears are round. The only thing I can't figure out is that tail! Get some bait for that thing and tryto get another pic;)

Rick James 09-08-2005 08:25 AM

This was taken in Bradford County PA, just south of the NY border. It was taken halfway between Williamsport, PA and Elmira, NY. I also swear to you guys that there is no BS with this, I know the people that sent this are good friends of my parents and wouldn'ttry toplay games with something like this.

The only reason I am not 100% that this is a bobcat is because on all the bobcats I have seen(quite a few in VT growing up, and a few in PA) they have huge hindquarters on them, this animal has a larger front end than back end and is not proportionally balanced the same as the other bobcats I have seen. I have also never seen one with that sleek of a head on it, the other heads I have seenhave heads much rounder.

quiksilver 09-08-2005 08:32 AM

Bobcat for sure - and a nice one at that. Bobcats can grow to nearly 40 pounds, which is much bigger than your garden variety housecat. Their summer coat is more sleek, whereas the winter coat is shaggier. The tufts on his ears and the bobtail are a dead giveaway.

The camera shot silhouettes the cat, and makes it hard to see his markings. If you'd see him in a better light, you'd see those dark stripes/spots.

callemin 09-08-2005 08:38 AM

there are no tufts on his ears and the tail is curled away from him to apear shorter.Save the pic to a photo editing program and enlarge the photo and you can see there are no tufts.

Double Creek 09-08-2005 08:39 AM

I would lean towards bobcat, but that thing does look strange. It almost looks like a cross between a bobcat and cougar....... He's big for a bobcat, but small for a cougar. His tail looks likea bobcat's, but it's hard to tell if it is indeed curling away.

Interesting for sure. Find a dead carcass and put in front of your camera and see what comes along.....

turtleshell 09-08-2005 08:49 AM

Come on guys. Its a bobcat, unless its a cougar cub with a cutoff tail. I don't care how "out to the side the tail appears" the tail of a cougar/mt. lion is nearly as long as its body. I can clarly see the little pointy hairs on the tops of ears. All animals are not cut from an identical mold> just like people they can look slightly different. All human dont' look the same. Does that mean they're not human. Maybe its a barred owl...uh I mean hawk:D

WARedBear 09-08-2005 08:55 AM

I enlarged the picture...I've got to agree with it being a bobcoug....Notice how slim the body is? The pictures posted earlier of bobcats have a hairy stomach where this one is smooth. Also notice the face...that looks like a cougar face....but the ears and the tail look like they are black tipped....I don't know...I still say it is a bobcoug :)

callemin 09-08-2005 09:10 AM

check it out this way.

Bowfreak4life 09-08-2005 09:15 AM

Ok the bigger pic does bring a new look to it, Now Iam thinking that we are all nuts and it's a unicorn,,,J/K The more I look at this thing The harder it is to tell what it might be, maybe a crossbread? Could that even be possible,, If it's a bobcat that thing is huge,, But I do notice the black tips now, then again the body is pretty sleak, and the head is rounded like a cougar, we need more pics!!!

Bird Hunt Dog 09-08-2005 09:36 AM

Can I see some spots on the side in the larger pic? Now I'm leaning toward a Bobcat. Heck I don't no[&:]

-DeerSlayer- 09-08-2005 09:38 AM

wow, this is confusing, a tail not quite like a bobcat or a cougar, a body somewhat like a cougar. Ears are rounded.

Itsa house cat? lol jk, but I still don't have a logical answer, maybe take it to the DNR and see what they say.

BrianDamage 09-08-2005 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Bowfreak4life

That would be a Mountian lion/ Cougar, where was that pic taken? To big to be a bobcat, and the tail is to long and the head is to rounded to be a bobcat..A bob cats ears are more pointed and a cougar they are more rounded... The first pic is a bobcat and the second is a Mt lion also notice the fur a cougars fur is more sleak and the bobcats is moer fluffy, Deffently a Mt.lion

I don't think it's that big. Look at the salt block in front of it. That block is probaly what, 8 inches wide by 2.5 - 3 inches tall?

callemin 09-08-2005 09:58 AM

I still say mountain lion.

kevin1 09-08-2005 10:07 AM

If that's a cougar then it's a cub , look at the scale between it and everything else .

wis_bow_huntr 09-08-2005 10:27 AM

To me it looks like its more on the Cougar/Mountain Lion side with a possible broken tail. The shoulders are awfully broad for a bobcat and the ears really arent shapped like thoes of a bobcat. I think you gots your self a female mountain lion there bud.

fletch920 09-08-2005 10:32 AM

I see cougar mania is alive and well in other parts of the country as well. Definitely a bobcat in the first picture and fairly average size at that. Not a lot of belly fur yet because it is Summer and they dont have their guard hairs and heavy fur now. Also, the second picture in Shadowace's postis not even a mountain lion. It is a Lynx. Note the big feet and tufts on the ears.Also the tufts of hair that run down the side of the face below the ears. A cougar's tail is nearly as big around as your arm and the full length of its body. Kind of hard to hide that much tail at any angle.

callemin 09-08-2005 10:35 AM

Fletch you state a pretty good argument...... but I'm still not sure it's a bobcat.[&:]

Pa Trophy Man 09-08-2005 10:46 AM

I say its a lynx.

BrianDamage 09-08-2005 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Pa Trophy Man

I say its a lynx.
I don't see the tufts of hair coming off the ears that are prominent on lynxes.

njbuck22 09-08-2005 11:07 AM

I would have to agree that it is a bobcat. JMO

swampstander 09-08-2005 11:18 AM

I would have to say its a pretty typical bobcat. I believe the pic posted by ShadowAce is a lynx.

CAMPFOURCORNERS 09-08-2005 11:25 AM

definitely a bobcat it is way to small to be a mt lion the tail is also too small for a mt lion

eightwgt 09-08-2005 11:55 AM

Man you guys ............. I can clearly see that thats a bear....

gee wizz

Techy 09-08-2005 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: ShadowAce

Oh yeah, that's a Bobcat. And a nice one at that.

This is a Lynx;)

Techy 09-08-2005 12:21 PM

I believe it is a Bobcat. The tail is way to skinny to to be a mountain lion. In the larger picture the ears appear to be more pointed, and there appears to be spots on it's belly.

Bobcat