Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting in the rain >

Hunting in the rain

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in the rain

Old 09-07-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Hunting in the rain

Do you do it? A friend was ribbing me about some rust on my bow. Nothing major, just a little rust on the screw head for the quiver/ sight. He asked "what did you do, leave it out in the rain? he he ho ho". I told him yea, with me holding on to it 20ft up in a burr oak tree. My hunting days are limited. When it starts raining I just don the rain gear and keep sittin. How bout you?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:41 PM

Default RE: Hunting in the rain

I like hunting in the rain, as long as its not a complete downpour. But a nice steady rain when its kinda cold out, nothin better. Plus, when it lets up, the deer really start movin. Ive got the same rust problem on the screw heads on my sight. Also, the little gold mathews emblems underneath the grip, the one on the left side is all dark and kind of greenish(must be copper in em), and the other still looks gold.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with 9022, I love hunting in a steady rain. Movements and scent are concealed and it's soo peaceful. I've seen a lot of deer move in the rain as well.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

A very, I say a very light shower will not get me out of the stand, but a constant rain and I'm gone. Don't want to take a chance to get a shot at the big one and loose the blood trail in the rain. That would be shame. To spend all the time scouting, stand placment and time on stand to loose a trophy in the rain.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Typical Buck

I like huntin in the rain.....really doesn't bother me. After the hunt though, I will oil down anything metal on my bow and this usually prevents any major rust from appearing.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

No not with a bow,Only because of the problem trailing a deer.To me loosing a animal because of my stupidity is a sin and a Punishable crime in my world.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:57 AM

Ye sI love hunting in the rain.I bought one of those stand umbrellas.HAs a rod that screws into the tree then hooks to it.Ubmrella made to go partially around the tree to keep your bakside dry.A well placed **** and trailing shouldnt be too ard.You have to start the trailing sooner.And watching where the deer goes after the shot is most important thing.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:18 AM
Dominant Buck

A misty drizzle maybe , but if the drops get much bigger I head for the truck .
Old 09-08-2005, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dont mind hunting in a light rain,but if it gets to bad,meaning downpour then i am gone.Only for the same reason as the others have mentioned,loosing a deers blood trail.
Usually to cold to rain in the first placeLast year was an exception,seemed to rain every day with the wind,it was a real bummer.
If you dont want your screw heads to rust,in the wet weather(snow,rain)then smear bow string wax on them,it will repel the rain and be scent free
Old 09-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

I love to hunt in the rain, the deer don't move as much but that just makes for a better spot and stalk, and then when the rain stops they seam to move around alot more, As far as the rusting on the bow, after a rainny hunt I will wipe the bow and oil all the screws and things that will rust, I like the bow wax Idea I wil have to try that this year..

Quick Reply: Hunting in the rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.