Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coons at feeder

Old 09-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coons at feeder

I've read where you can use a 3-4' length of pvc pipe placed over the legs of of the feeder and use a bolt at the bottom extended through the leg in which the pipe will sit and be allowed to freely rotate. It's supposed to work, althoughI have no experience with it.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bring death to them...or trap and relocate. I personally...choose the former.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I had a problem with them this summer at my bird feeder. I tried everything but they are really smart and always figured out how to get the seed. I finally got a Havaheart Coon trap and spent the next few nights getting picked clean. The trap was an older model which didn't have the lock for the door after it tripped. The darn things would get caught and figured out how to reach around the door and lift the outer door and spring the trap. I heard it trip one night and went out on the deck and sure enough I had one about 30 pounds. A real tanker. I carried the trap to the back of my truck and went inside and asked my wife if she wanted to take a ride and watch me let the coon go in it's new home. She got dressed and when we went to the truck I shined the light into the cage and he was gone. It took him 5 minutes to get out of the trap. My wife still laughs about it. I watched one of the coons spring the trap and they lay on their backs and reach their long skinny arms around the inner door and lift the outer door and then push the trap open and escape.
The next morning I rigged up a trip wire that fell behind the door to eliminate the coon from being able to open the doors. The next 2 nights I caught the coons and let them go on some town land at the other end of the island. I went to Gander Mt and bought a new coon trap and that one had the latch safety and it works real well. I have taken 4 total and the birds are happy again.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:56 AM

Hey buddy I know I put up a chicken wire fence arround my feeders in about a 20 foot square with the tops angled out at almost a 90 degree.This may seem drastic but I have almost 2000 acres here in Tex. and about 20 feeders that go year round and the coons can eat up many a dollars worth of corn so give it a try. and hey if its legal in your state to bait do it its no differant than using scents to bring in bucks or to cover up your own scent we all do things for an advantage .
Old 09-17-2005, 01:45 AM

its a no win situation,just raise your camera up the tree,so the sensor want detect small animals, good luck
Old 09-17-2005, 09:42 AM

Simple fix is to fill your feeder with soybeans.Deer love em' They are actually better for the deer then corn,and the coons dont like em'.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:03 PM

We put a little cage around the timer so the coons couldn't chew on the batteries and everything like they've done before, but it restricts the feeder's throw.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:35 PM

HAHAHA YEP SHOOT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND GE A DANIEL BOONE HAT
ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

Shoot'em they make a real good hat that was very popular back in my days.