HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Buscuits and Fletchings??????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/111676-buscuits-fletchings.html)

Kentster911 09-05-2005 08:36 PM

Buscuits and Fletchings???????

New to bow hunting this will be my first year (come on Oct. 1st). Everyone says to the Newbie get the whisker buscuit. I did and I like it but it is eating the fletchings on my ICS 400's. Is this normal? Is this a reason to go by a biztenburg fletching jig? What are your thoughts, coments or experiences with the buscuit and fletching wear?

Thanks,

Kent

zac76156 09-05-2005 09:05 PM

RE: Buscuits and Fletchings???????

I was frustrated too until I went to shooting Blazer vanes... Blazers and the biscuit are a great combo!!!

Bowfreak4life 09-05-2005 09:07 PM

I switched to the buscuit two years ago, and never had the fletchings tare or anything, and I shoot ALOT, probly 200 to 300 arrows a day, With the same four arrows, and never had a tare,(used up a buscuit or two) is it happing to all your arrows or just a few? it could be a bad glue job if it's just a couple arrows, but if it's doing it to all of them it could be the buscuit,, Do you think maybe your bow is out of tune? Not sure if that would do it though,, I know there are Buscuits for Carbon Arrows and one for aluminum arrows, Do you have the right one?

atlasman 09-05-2005 09:18 PM

If your WB is beating up your vanes it is not set up properly and the arrows are not flying through the rest correctly. You are probably hitting the outer ring on your way through.........an easy way to tell this is by looking at the outer disc and you will see some streaks where the vanes are hitting.

A WB is no different then any other rest..........if it is tuned properly you will have no problems........if it is not then you will have issues.

WVBowhunter10 09-05-2005 09:18 PM

I just got away from the biscuit but yes it is a good rest and probably a good one for to start with. It did tear my fletchings pretty good after multiple shots. I switched to the blazers as well and had no problem. I switched to a drop away to eliminate all clearance problems. Best advice is to shoot what you like and stick with it. Good luck.

SWOSUMike 09-05-2005 11:22 PM

I was having fletchings get beat up froma whisker biscuit, but then I noticed that streaks from the fletchings were rubbing off onto the bottom bracket that holds the round biscuit. My arrows were flying out too low. A lot like what atlasman was saying.

Puddy 09-06-2005 06:32 AM

I have a friend who shoots a whisker biscuit and he had same problem. I heard you should shoot with the cock vane up, have you tried that? Just a suggestion.

Kentster911 09-06-2005 07:42 AM

I did check the buscuit last night and it appears that the fletchings are hitting the bottom bracket. I guess this means my arrows are coming out too low? How do I fix it? I am a newbie and appreciate all the responses so far.

Kent

PABowhntr 09-06-2005 07:44 AM

I would agree with the others. Use shorter or stiffer vanes with less helical in the fletch (if you use helical). That should dramatically reduce wear on your vanes. I have also seen it suggested that you add a bit of armor all to your vanes to decrease friction.

Kentster911 09-06-2005 08:07 AM

Is this an adjustment I need to do to my bow (Mathews LX) or change my vanes? I really dont know anything about the fletchings, they are on Beman ICS 400's. I dont really look at them when I load them, should I? It is frustrating as they cost alot of money and 3 of the 4 I have been shooting have the fletchings coming off and the 4th is starting to.

KB