Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what age for kids to start hunting? >

what age for kids to start hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
5-7 year old
34.15%
8-10 year old
26.83%
12-14 year old
26.83%
OTHER
12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

what age for kids to start hunting?

Old 09-04-2005, 09:52 PM

Default what age for kids to start hunting?

What age is a good age to get kids hunting and why?
Old 09-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what age for kids to start hunting?

Well I would vote but your choiced don't go young enough.

My kids have been hunting with me since they were about 3 years old.

I feel that hunting starts when they can go out in the woods with you even if they are not carrying a gun or bow.

WHY..... because the younger they start out the more it gets into their brain that hunting is good, needed, and is certainly not a bad thing. It teaches them about life and death and what it really means rather than what they see on television. It gives them something to do and something to look fowward to every fall. You get to spend time with your kids in the woods. It keeps them out of trouble cause if you take your kids hunting you won't have to hunt your kids. When they learn proper firearms safety at a young age are are far less likely to get into trouble with firearms at a later age.

Starting them out young not only ensures that there will be future hunters but helps ensure that they will cherrish hunting and will not cross over to the dark side.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:00 PM

I also think that taking kids hunting at a earlier age is great.Now as for sitting on stand I would wait until they are atleast 8 and make sure you take a gameboy with them to keep them still and quiet.I take my girls whenever I can and they take there gameboys with to help pass the time.My 11 year old wants a bow for X mas and she will be getting one.She wants to hunt with daddy nothing can even come close to the feeling I have for my daughters and there wanting to hunt.So teaching them is better off starting at the youngest age they can and want to be around it.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:07 PM

I have 6 year and 3 year old that want to go with me. I started taking my oldes son last year and he did great. We got to send time together and got to see some deer he was very happy about that and can't wait to go this year.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:12 PM

My father started taking me with him into the woods when I was 3. That burned it into my brain that hutning is a good thing, and Ive wanted to go with him everytime after that. Now im obsessed with it.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Depends om maturity of each child also.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:08 AM

I voted on the 12-14 years old only because I wasn't sure if you ment for them to legaly hunt with their own weapon. Or if you ment to come along with you and watch. I took my oldest son out when he was 5. I had shot a doe and knew where she died. There was still 2 hours of light left so I got on the cell phone and told my wife to get him ready to help find the deer " that I couldnt find". I picked him up and showed him where I shot her and he followed the blood trail about 60 yard to the deer. He will be 14 this Nov. and to this day he still thinks I never would have found her without his help. So take them in the woods when you feel they are ready. Be smart about it, go for short trips when they are young, only dry and fairly warm weather so they will be comfortable. And last but not least be very patient and dont expect to see alot of deer activity when they are really young. And hopefully you will turn them on to hunting!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:39 AM

I voted for the youngest age you had but i started taking my kid hunting at four. I brought him up on guns since age 3.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:12 AM

I started my 3 as soon as they showed an interest. My son is now 14, and he is a killing machine! My daughters are 8 and 7, and though I don't take them deer hunting, they go along on dove hunts. They have an absolute blast!
Old 09-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Spike

all three of my kids have ben dove hunting with me sence thay could walk and my oldest girl shot her first deer last year at the age of 9,, all three love being in the outdoors

Quick Reply: what age for kids to start hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.