Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Montec G5 Review >

Montec G5 Review

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Montec G5 Review

Old 08-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Site Bouncer

Default Montec G5 Review

Well, I heard so much about the Montec G5100'sbroadhead I just had to try them. So I went last weekend and bought some to try out. NowI am by no means an expert in the broadhead field but I will give you my opinion none the less.

First off let me tell you for those who don't know, I have shot both the fixedThunderhead 100's in the past as well as the mechanicalSpitfire Pro 100's. I like both and both shoot the same for me. Never really a problem with either but I did find myself buying replacement blades for them when I thought they were needed. I never tried to sharpen them.

I shotall threeat 20, 30, and 40 yds (my pin settings) The first thing I noticed is the Montecsflew just like my field points as all three distances. Infact all three broadheads grouped great.Penetration on all three was good, the Montec'swent slightly further into my target at all distances than the Thunderheads,that went slightly further than the Spitfires. Being that I know I have had mostly pass throughs with the Thunderhead and Spitfires, I have no doubt the Montec's will perform just as well if not better.

All three broadheads seemed pretty quiet to me, I couldn't tell if any of them made noise. All in all I am pretty impressed with the broadheads and the fact that I can sharpen them makes them even more appealing to me. They also seem to be by far the toughest of the three broadheads. It's a pretty good design (one piece) and looks like it can take a beating.

They seemed pretty sharp out of the tube I would have no problem hunting with them right out of the box. After shooting them I sharpend them on a flat stone I use for my knifes, and they sharpened up just like new and perhaps slightly sharper. They are very easy to sharpen and fool proof. all you do is lay the broadhead on the stone and it is at the perfect angle to sharpen....pretty cool, it takes the guess work out as far as having the correct angle while sharpening.

I am very excited about these broadheads and can't wait to try them out on deer. I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:27 PM

Default RE: Montec G5 Review

Best $30 I've ever spent
Old 09-01-2005, 12:07 AM

I am using them for the first time this year. I agree with all that you said about them. Every one I talk to that has used them say they are the best they have used. Can't wait until Oct. 15th (opening day) One friend took three deer with the same head.... even a shoulder shot didnt nick up the blades. He resharpened it and is going for the fourth deer this year.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

$30? I thought they were more expensive than that. How much does a 6 pack of Muzzys or Thunderheads run?
Old 09-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

I used them last year for the first time. I took a large doe in Oklahoma and a 178" P&Y Mulie in CO. The Montecs performed flawlessly on both deer. I have been shooting targets with them all summer out to 50 yards and they fly unbelievably well. If my luck holds out I will introduce another CO Mulie to the Montec the second week of November.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

I see that there is a few different Montec G5 BH's out there. Are the ones that you shot just the regular ones or do they have a name to them?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2005, 09:38 AM

I sent one through the shoulder bone of a 300 pound black bear and its still as good as new.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:33 AM

They are an awesome head and are my second favorite. They do make a hissing noise which is apparent if you are standing next to someone shooting them.

My favorite head is very similiar but quieter and can replace blades. It's called a Wacem
Old 09-01-2005, 11:09 AM

$30? I thought they were more expensive than that
Thats for 3
Old 09-01-2005, 12:53 PM

XTEC, here is a link, i am thinking about buying a set my self, they look sweet.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...amp;hasJS=true

Bo

Quick Reply: Montec G5 Review

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.