Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guides Tips?

Old 08-29-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Guides Tips?

I am going on an Elk bowhunt in a few weeks and we are doing 1 guide for two hunters and I am not sure how the tip works. Do you doulbble the tip and do you slit the amount? The guide is not doing twice the work unless we both score so how do you think this works? we don't want to cheat the guy because I know they are working hard.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Guides Tips?

It is just like eating out. If the guide dose real good give him a good tip.If he sucks dont give him crap.

I have only used mates on boats,I have never used guides.I can tell you if I find a good mate that dose what I ask and not what is done for the normal people. { I need way less help. I would rather see the mate help people in need than try to take the fish out of my hand to take it off } If he dose this I leave him a real nice tip.If He insist on taking my fish off when there are people that need him. I will not give him a tip or a very little one. [ I will tell him why allso]

The guides are there to help you. if they are set in there ways and will not change to your needs,They are not doing there jobs.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:00 AM

I am really asking on the breakdown of the tip. Let's use a number like

$300 = 1 guide / 1 hunter

When you have 1 guide for 2 hunters, how do you work it. Does the guide get $300 from each or do you do $150 each?

Also, what is a good amount for an elk guide? $300, 400, 500?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

You are out of my leage now.

I see it difrant than most I gess.The guides get payed there normal pay for the outfiter.So to me any extra money for DOING a good job is just that extra. If you are expected to pay a tip. Than the outfiter is trying to get out of paying the guide a far wadge.This is no difrant than the mates on a boat.They make there money from the captain.All tips are extra and do not have to be payed.But if they do a good job they should get a good tip.

From your post you are going to pay them if they do good or not.You are just wandering how much money the guide should get to keep him happy.The ting here is they should keep you happy.If they do pay them as you think fit.

From doing fishing trips. Each boat/guide will expect difrant tips if a good job is done. Normaly when I get on the boat I ask what the normal tip is. If they say $30,Than I can figger how good he did off that.If real good I pay $50$if he sucked I may give him $1.

I would allways tip alone.I want theman getting the tip to know what I did give them.So they know what I think of them.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:51 AM

I agree that the guide should only get what he is worth. If he does not perform, than there is no issue, he will see that in the amount. However, I am going into this with an open mind that he is going to be at least, very good. If that is the case than he will get a nice tip. If not, no go. I think I agree with you that we should treat the tip separately between us.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 09:45 PM

on the money amoutn givien in the above post.I would each give him 200.If he does well.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

Well IMO he should get 1 tip total... So if you are going to give him $300 then it would be $150 each... Unless you both Score, or someone gets a Monster then I would tip Accordingly....

As for the amount, I have only been on Bear Hunting Trips so that is my gauge... But the first trip I thought the Guide was a TOTAL Clown and we did not even See a Bear.... So Tip $0... I felt bad, but I not bad enough to go Donating my hard earned Cash to some Clown (he already got me for $1300)... The Second Trip was ALOT better, Saw Bears Every Night and the guide did whatever was needed... So I gave him $250 (trip total was $1550 without tip).... 3rd trip same thing (same Place) Lots of Bears guide did anything that anyone could ask, and tip was $250... Not sure if that is a good tip or not, but it's would be good to me... I mean between all 4 of us he got almost $1000... I would think that elk hunting would be a little more of a Tip since he is working ALOT harder (or should be) and the trip is more expensive...

This is an interesting topic though, I would like to know what I good tip is or should be...
Old 08-30-2005, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are going on a guided elk hunt, my advice would be talk with the outfitter. I have been on two elk hunts, both with the same outfitter, his opinion was a tip was 100% voluntary since he already pays his guides. However the hunters in camp disagreed.

Here is what I did. Keep in mind I had a 100% blast, had lots of fun with my guide, learned alot, they adjusted to how I wanted to hunt etc etc etc. You also have others to keep in mind that bust thier butt to make your hunt fun. Cook, horse wrangler if one is involved etc. On my trip last year I hunted with two guides, the first I spent 4 days with had a blast, didn't shoot an elk, in fact didn't see an elk, but we worked hard it just didn't happen. I tipped him $120 which is seemed to greatly appreciate. Last 4 days (middle day of a 7 day hunt I had my original guide AND the outfitter guide me) I hunted/hiked/called with the outfitter, shot a 4x5 bull the outfitter called into to 4 yards, over his objection I tipped him $120, told him to take his wife (the cook) out to dinner after hunting season.

First trip in 2003 with my wife as my hunting partner, we tipped the cook $75 (not the outfitters wife on that trip) and the guide (the outfitter) another $150 (again over his objection).

In both cases we had FUN, saw elk and had chances. Hunting styles were as we wanted, usually bugling and hiking sometimes in stands to rest tired legs (outfitter prefers hunters in stands over wallows/trails).

My primary advice would be GET IN SHAPE. That way you can do what is needed to do to get a bull. Chances with a bow may be hard to come by, it would be a shame if you work for the week to finally get a bull in close range and you have to move fast/run to cut him off and you can't. Get in shape, be honest with the guide/outfitter, if you have problems with a guide talk to the outfitter, personalities clash at times, give him a chance to fix it.

Overall, HAVE FUN!! You will be hooked as soon as a bull is screaming at you and crashing through trees to come find you!

--Bob
Old 08-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Typical Buck

I think Bob hit it right on the head. If the outfiter pays his guids a far wadge a tip is added insentive.I think the guides Bob hunted with are not normal.Most I have talked with or worked with call people names if they do not tip well.

I would use Bobs addvice.I would allso ask Bob how his guid was and in wnat state he is in. Sounds to me like he is a very fine outfitter.

Glad to see there is some good outfiters out there.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:03 AM
Typical Buck

Figure 10% of the hunt cost should be the tip to the guide, so if the trip costs 3000.00 your tip should be 300.00 if you enjoyed your self and he busted his butt for you. The amount should be less if your not happy, above all make sure you give him the reason why either way good or bad, it will help other hunters in the future.

Quick Reply: Guides Tips?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.