HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Hunting flat riverbottoms (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/110606-hunting-flat-riverbottoms.html)

CJW 08-27-2005 08:18 PM

Hunting flat riverbottoms

Me and my buddy hunt about 150 to 200 acres of completely flat riverbottom in west central Illinois. There are some huge bucksand alot of other deerbut trying to pattern them at any time is difficult because the land doesn't have any rolling hills or creek bottoms or ridges like alot of hunting spots and is almost 100% timber. It has areas where it gets pretty thick with weeds and thicker ground coverand then other areas thatare almost completly open through the trees. The deer also don't really follow trails deeper in the timber when the weeds die down which makes them difficult to pattern. They kind of just walk where they want to. The guy that owns the land does usually mow roads through the weeds that the deer sometimes travel and love to make scrapes on, but the usually make them at night.

Do any of you guys hunt land similair to this or have any tips to hunt this promising land?

CJW

pass_threw 08-27-2005 08:41 PM

RE: Hunting flat riverbottoms

i`m a river bottom finatic, they are my first choice to hunt over most any other.
although my land is nothing like yours this may still help.

try to find the food source and the beds. then set up in the transition area between them.

during the rut phases try to locate a rub line or two. this will be a hot spot if you find a rub line that happens in the same general area every year.

trails coming from the water is another good place to set up. more so during the early season when temps are still on the warm side.

hope these help.

PT

ranchand99 08-28-2005 01:04 AM

That sounds like a great place.Man deer will pop out of nowhere in the swamp.It can be open enough to see for 150yds,then bam..there he is at 25 steps looking right at you,and you're wondering where the heck did he come from!!(True story;)).I have found that deer like to follow edges.Be it thick grass,against thin grass in clearings.Or in the swamps I hunt you have to look for an edge.Usually it will be a section of weeds or brush.Even though you can see through it any cover will be used.When the thin cover dies you will have to find something thick,or acorns.They will bedaround blown down trees too.I have even stumbled upon big upright trees with hollow cavities in the bottom,that had tracks in them.Now you think I'm crazy.There has to be a bedding area somewhere.I don't know too much more to add to what pass threw said.I agree with you.Most scrapes on roads and field edges are used at night.You still might catch one off gaurd at the first of the season though.Good Luck!!:)

mihoag 08-29-2005 08:29 PM

Also try to find some gravel bars along the river where it's shallow. Although deer will swim across they usually will use these shallow areas to cross. Also has ranchhand99 says, hunt the edges even in the timber...find out where the underbrush is thick and where it opens up into more open areas. Good luck!!!