Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cock vane up or down? >

Cock vane up or down?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cock vane up or down?

Old 08-26-2005, 06:40 PM

Default RE: Cock vane up or down?

Just checked my arrow and it is on the bottom!
Old 08-26-2005, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Mine is down. I thought thats why they called it a cock vane, because it hangs down.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

He is shooting a drop away rest and no it does not matter which way they are oriented. Just make sure that all are passing though with our touching the rest.

It's called a cock fletch because before there was plastic vanes fletchings were all made from feathers. The feathers are called cock and hen because a male bird is a cock and a female bird is a hen. A single cock has a harem of hens. Thus one cock feather and multiple hen feathers.
Wrong again. With the speed of todays bows some of the drop aways can't get out of the way quick enough so We we vain down.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

What are you talking about wrong again?

I did say...........
Just make sure that all are passing through with out touching the rest
Let me spell it out another way word for word for those that can't read.

It does not matter which way the fletchings are oriented so long as the fletchings are passing through or by the rest with out making any contact with the rest.

In other words experiment shooting your arrows with the fletchings oriented differently. If they make contact one way then don't shoot them that way. If they freely pass with no contact then don't worry about it.

I swear I am talking (typing) to two year olds sometimes.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

You could turn your nocks 360degrees why not find one spot that works with all of your arrows? Cock vain down. I swear some people are hard headed like 2 year olds.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:29 PM

I like my cock vane up...[8D]
Old 08-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

One of the major benefits of shooting a drop away rest is not having to look when you nock an arrow. If you need to nock a second arrow or nock one quickly you do not need to look at your string and take your eye off the deer, elk or what ever.

That is the point of experimenting to make sure that there is no fletching contact with different fletching orientations.

Another point to a drop away is that there is no set way that an arrow needs to be orientated. Some people like the cock vane up, some down, and some out to the side. If the rest is working properly then a person can shoot any way that they prefer. There is no one specific way (cock vane down) that the arrow needs to be nocked.

If you like to shoot cock vane down then by all means do so but the original question was which way does the cock vane need to go with a QAD ultra rest. And the answer is thet there is no specific way that it needs to go. That is the entire point of what I posted. He isn't shooting a TM hunter rest that requires a cock vane down orientation.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Boy, this thread went south in a hurry.

Though I would tend to agree that it really shouldn't matter what the fletching orientation is with a drop away I think most folks usually end up shooting cock vane up as it gives the best opportunity for clearance on many of the launcher arms.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:43 AM

It does not matter whch way the feathers are facing when shooting a drop away rest. There is nothing for the fletching to hit when passihe rest.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boy, this "thread" went south in a hurry.
Heard there are pills for that now... I wouldn't know, I'm still at the top of my game.

By the way, my odd fletching points to the left... Aint going to catch me saying cock vane... Aw man. Guess I just did. [][][:-]

Quick Reply: Cock vane up or down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.