Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How lightly do you take missing? >

How lightly do you take missing?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How lightly do you take missing?

Old 08-25-2005, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default How lightly do you take missing?

I hate to miss. When I started out, I missed deer for various reasons. Over time I figured out why and corrected the mistakes. It's been a long time and many downed deer since I have missed one. It's not because Iam a great shot, I'd get smoked on a 3d courseby most guys on here.
I think its just a combination of finding a simplesystem and not taking shots outside my limitations.

So do you try your best, but still accept missing as part of the game or do you get quite ticked if you miss?
Old 08-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How lightly do you take missing?

If its my fault then its ok because you can figure out why you missed and correct it. But if its not your fault like if the deer ducks under the arrow or you hit a tiny tiny twig that you can barley see with the naked eye it can be frustrating.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:00 PM

Not very seriously...... I haven't missed though in atleast8 years...... I really can't remember the last deer I missed.........
Old 08-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

it depends. I've missed quite a bit. one miss really sticks out in my mind and I literally almost vomitted afterward. I shot at a buck that was thought to be at 20 yds, when he was really at 25. no biggie, except he was right around 145 typical (for an eight that isn't too shabby). other than that, many things are accountable that sometimes cannot be helped. jumping the string, misjudging yardage, general anxiousness, scent...missed a doe last year at 20 yds because she was ultra alert because she smelled me, but couldn't pin point me.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, not really. I missed my first chip shot at a deer in years last year and I was thoroughly disgusted with myself. I simply got excited and ended up pulling the shot big time. At 8 yards the arrow hit a good 3 feet in front of the deer's chest. No excuse at all..none whatsoever..

...though it seems funny now that I think about it.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:25 PM

The worst is when I am practicing. Like, tonight, I was at the range, shooting 20 yards. I put most of them in the center circle, but when I get one even an inch out of the center.......I get mad. Then I start worrying about form, release, anchor, then I miss even more. I sometimes have to laugh at myself.
Now, a deer, well, I get upset, but not too badly.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

HEY IF YOU BOW HUNT YOUR GOING TO MISS ...JUST GOING TO HAPPEN AND YOU HAVE TO PUT IT BEHIND YOU ..SUCK IT UP ...AND DON'T LET THEM HEAR YOU CUSS ;&gt)

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 08-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate missing. I missed a buck five years ago and hated the sick feeling. THat's why I practice so much.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

I take it very seriously, because, I don't take shots I could miss.NOT over 30 and NOT when they are alerted. If not today, then maybe tomorrow, I'll get my shot, that I'm comfortable with. When you loose 1 it helps you along.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

"it depends. I've missed quite a bit. one miss really sticks out in my mind and I literally almost vomitted afterward. I shot at a buck that was thought to be at 20 yds, when he was really at 25. no biggie, except he was right around 145 typical (for an eight that isn't too shabby"

Wouldn't you just have hit him a little high?

Quick Reply: How lightly do you take missing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.