Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hey fixed broadhead guys.... >

Hey fixed broadhead guys....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hey fixed broadhead guys....

Old 08-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hey fixed broadhead guys....

I was talking with my buddy and he said that he always tried to line up the blades on his broadhead to the fletchings on the arrow. I guess I haven't heard of this. Would there be any reason for it?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2005, 12:48 PM

Default RE: Hey fixed broadhead guys....

I read something about this in the technical forum--I hadn't heard of anything like that before--but some believe that it helps with wind resistance (I think that's what was said).

You may want to try to search the tracnical board to find out more...
Old 08-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

yup its true, if there not aligned i find an arrow that will align with that thread on the ferrul or the insert of the arrow itself. It will fly true and consistent.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:51 PM

I heard that too. I guess that would make sense if you had straight fletching, and the arrow didn't spin, becuase then the blade and fletching would somewhat follow the same line. But if you have a helicle fletching, as most people do, I would think your arrow is going to be spinning too fast for them to follow the same line anyways.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:52 PM

I shoot 100 gr. 3 bladed Muzzy's, and if you have a properly tuned bow, they will shoot just fine without lining up the fletchings with the blades.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:59 PM

I think that supa has the right idea. If the feathers are not perfectly straight, the streamlines between the blades and the feathers won't match up anyway due to the arrow spinning. If the feathers are straight, maybe it would help. But I would guess that the effect is minimal.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried it both ways with and without liningit upand and it didn't make a nickels worth of difference.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

It has been shown that it makes no difference if they are lined up or not. What does make a difference is if there is any wobble to the head when it is screwed in.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I line mine up, just for consistency's sake and I've heard that it helps. I have no evidence to support the notion that it helps.

It doesn't take any work, you just mix and match your arrows/broadheads, and you'll see that you can make most of them line up pretty well. The day when I put my broadheads on my arrows has almost become ritualistic. Lining them up is half of the fun.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver
I line mine up, just for consistency's sake and I've heard that it helps. I have no evidence to support the notion that it helps.
Same here... I did that with my old 3 blade Thunderheads and aligned them with the fletchings.

However, here's what I now do:

Magnus Stinger 4 blade - align main blade vertical with bow string. They seem to fly extremely well and don't "plane" as I've heard people talk about.

Slick Tricks 4 blade - no alignment - how can you align a 4 blade head with 3 fletchings???

Quick Reply: Hey fixed broadhead guys....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.