Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What Hunting is to me >

What Hunting is to me

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Hunting is to me

Old 08-24-2005, 04:39 PM

Default RE: What Hunting is to me

HuntinGus, thanks for your post. I think you've said, what most of us have been feeling, and just didn't figure it out until you came along. Things have been a little tense on the board lately, you havehelped to calm it down. Thanks!

Can't wait to get to camp!

edited after re-reading "it's a shame thread".
Old 08-24-2005, 05:31 PM

Well huntingus I was gonna cut and paste my reply on the other thread that started this one but it looks as if it has been locked up, I'lljust repost my favorite things about hunting with a few added.

That weekend before the trip hanging out in the garage with your buddy prepping for the trip.
That first cold beer when you leave the highway and hit the dirt road.
The long 4WD trek into camp listening to Willie Nelson, and a couple more beers.
Laughing as you and your buddies fumble in the dark while setting up the tents.
The smell insidethe tent bringing back memories of years past.
That gentle hiss of the Coleman lantern.
The squeek of the ice chest opening.
Cigars and Copenhagen while sitting around the fire telling stories.
A loud fart from one tent and the laughter from all the others, yes girls we'll never grow up and we'll always laugh at a good fart.
The sound of a tent zipper going up breaking the silence of the early morning.
Laying in the bag wondering how long before my buddy comes to roust me up.
The sound of a rifle in the distance just after sunrise.
Eggs, potatoes, and spam cooked on the Coleman stove.
Bisquits from the Dutch oven.
The afternoon nap and being woken up by the wind blowing through the trees just above camp.
The distant sound of wind blowing through the tops of the pines, this will sound pathetic but when I was on my first deer trip in the high sierrasthe wind through the pines sounded like the drone of a freeway in the distance. I even asked if there was a freeway on the other side of a hill.

Old 08-24-2005, 05:59 PM

I love the weeks before bowhunting starts. Getting ready for it and dying to get up in your stand and hunt. I became great friends with my dad and uncles at deer camp and i wouldnt give it up for anything in the world. I love the excitement of seeing my first deer of the year when im in my treestand. I love the smell of the woods and the fresh air in my lungs. I love when my heart starts pounding when i grab my bow when i see a buck. I love wtching the other animals run around and get ready for winter and the peace and quiet of being alone in the woods just thinking and watching. I love it when the people closest to me get as excited as i do when i shoot a deer. I love hunting