Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 be honest about this ? >

be honest about this ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

be honest about this ?

Old 08-24-2005, 12:54 AM

Default RE: be honest about this ?

ORIGINAL: turtleshell

Since I have a 2 deer a day limit here. Take the crip and sit it out and see what happened, if another deer, preferably the 20 pt then all the better. I have had the good fortune of taking 2 deer in the same evening sit before...1st a doe then late a 6 point
Must be like shooting squirrels
Old 08-24-2005, 11:51 AM

If you only have one tag? Hmm...I would pass on him. The laws of nature are the laws of nature and that's how they've been before we were here and thats how they'll be after we are gone. If the buck is injured, then that's too bad for him. You aren't the angel of mercy, you are a hunter, and if that isn't the animal that you want to take then don't take him. If he heals he will be bigger next year, if he dies then something will eat him, whether it be coyotes, wolves, bears, buzzards or worms, he won't go to waste. I know that the humane thing to do would be to put him out of his misery, but I wouldn't lose any sleep at night knowing that I let nature take its course. Now, if it was the last day of the season and I had no deer to fill my tag I would take him in a heart beat.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

IF it looked serious enough, I'd take the wounded one out. If upon field dressing, it was obvious that the meat was spoiled/wasted.

I would then contact my local DNR guy, and ask for a replacement tag.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't put down every limping deer.
My thoughts exactly!!!

Last season during the rut I had a great 10pt limping towards me - gave my ticker a good workout. He wasn't limping because of an accident or anything, he had just had his little white tail handed to him by a bigger buck - antler to the back side. He never came in close enough for a shot however.

I'm not going to shoot a deer just because he/she is injured.
1, I don't know what caused it (disease?)
and B, "Can't put down every limping deer."
Old 08-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Shoot the deer ..... then jump on the arrow.[:@][:@]
Old 08-24-2005, 03:05 PM

A few years ago, second or third day of rifle season, I'm sitting on my stand and see a small buck coming towards me. At first I wasn't
sure what was wrong with him, but his mouth was messed up. When he got closer I saw that his lower jaw had been shot off. It was there, but just hanging by some tissue. I guess someone tried a head shot and messed up. He was a little basket rack 6 pointer,not what I was looking for, but I couldn't let him go on the way he was. There is no way he could have survived. So I took him. The next year in about the same spot I killed the biggest buck I have ever killed. I kind of like to think about it as good deer karma
Old 08-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Spike

paper tag will taste terrible if ya dont see the 20ptr. freezer for sure
Old 08-31-2005, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill go along with that one rocketman....but just a deer with a limp im letting him walk!
Old 08-31-2005, 09:02 PM

It would have to depend on the situation. If it was just a limp, I'd let him go. If there were serious problems, I'd take him. With the meat, I would do whatever I could. If it was diseased or nasty and spoiled, I'd dispose of it safely and ask for a replacement tag, as Dampland said.