Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tree Stand Plans >

Tree Stand Plans

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Stand Plans

Old 08-23-2005, 06:07 PM

Default RE: Tree Stand Plans

For an in expensive ladder I buy 4 1x4's 12 feet in length. cut the steps to the width you want about 12-14 inches is good. and then screw them in every 16 inches or so(make sure they are evenly spaced the brain plays funny tricks on you in the dark if not) instead of screwing them in wide side facing up and down( like a regular wooden ladder)screw them in so the wide side is facing out. this provides some extra stiffness to the steps and eliminats sagging. also make sure you pilot drill all the screw holes so they don't split. this will cost you usually around about 8 dollars for a 12 foot ladder
Old 08-23-2005, 07:14 PM

I wanted to note.... I myself am a "Do It Yourslef" type guy - that being said - be careful making a treestand - make sure that whatever method you choose to construct one is one you can honestly build a SAFE stand.... if you weld one make sure you can weld properly - just because a weld looks like it will hold does NOT mean it will.... have someone thats a welder do it (a friend) Next note - at the low price stands can be bought for it will be hard to beat the price making yuour own - add it up : Steel or Aluminum, welding, grating for platform, padding/seat, strapping to attach to tree (or chain),paint, and fasteners.... it really is fun to make them - just be safe -and wear a safety harness while climbing, and using it !

Good luck - all the best

Tom
Old 08-23-2005, 07:33 PM

maybe a rope ladder will work, just throwing that out for a idea.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

WantBuck
I will try to discribe a wooden ladder that I built 10 years ago and it is still going strong. My partner and I built them for our bear stand. I went up to the stand this past Friday and climbed the 24' to the stand with no problems.

I started by cutting 2x4's into 12" pieces. You should be able to get scrap 2x4's from a scrap pile at a building site (ask first). Create the ladder by laying two 12' 2x4's on edge and screwed the 1' pieces about every 18". Of course you can adjust your ladder height by using 8', 10' or 12' pieces. We were going 20 feet up so I used two 12'ers. Take three or four 1' pieces and screw flat across the back. Put one at the top, one at the bottom, and one or two (depending on your length) spaced evenly in the middle. You will secure the ladder to the tree with these. They also space the ladder steps away from the tree so you have room for your boots to grab the steps. To secure the ladder even more to the tree I took 2x4's and nailed them from the side of the ladder to the sides of the tree. Make the ladder 3-4 feet taller than your stand. This way you can climb above the stand and step down onto it. It is also safer to climb down if you have the ladder taller so you can grab onto it and step onto the ladder. I can take pictures of the stand and the ladder if you want to show you exactly what I am talking about. Let me know and I will take them this weekend.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:29 AM

Sure i'd like to see some pics.I think I have an idea buti'd love to see apicture.Thats one of my favorite things about this forum is the pictures.
Thanks man,
JE
Old 09-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Well I went up to the stand last night and took some pictures. I had the camera set to micro so the first few are blurry...sorry. I am going to post a link to the pictures instead of taking up space here with them...

This is looking down the hill at the bottom section of steps.

This is the top section and the stand which is about 20' up.

This is a close-up of the steps, the back brace for attaching to the tree, and the side brace to the tree.

This is a shot of the top of the stairs and showing how they go above the platform.

This shows the back right of the stand. Notice we built a section behind the seat to hold our gear. There is also a railing around the back so our gear doesn't fall off.

This shows the braces underneath the stand. There are 2 2x6's nailed to the trees and 2x6 floor joists across those with the plywood flooring on those.

This show the right side of the stand, the ladder, the landing, and the seat.

Another shot of the landing...makes it easier to get on and off of the ladder.

The seat. We've had three BIG guys sitting across that seat at one time.....

What bear stand is complete without bear claw marks. We've had bears climb and mark all of our five stands. Makes the hunt interesting and fun to know they can climb up and eat you....

Left side of the stand and the claw marks.

I hope you enjoy these pictures. Feel free to ask me any questions that you might have.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Wooden permanent stands can be meade in most any shape and size. I make 5-6 every year on our land(we have 21 sections), and have the price for a 16' ladder stand down to about $60 dollars. Just remember for those using the new arsenic free treated lumber....ther is a major problem with the chemicals in the treated lumber eating away the material used to nail it all together. You will find that a regular nail will be eaten away in a year or 2. Even some of the companies can't "guarentee" your hardware will make it. So I recommend atleast using heavily hot dipped spikes,nails, or whatever, when building thes with the new treated stuff. having learned the hard way(fall from 16'), I now use hotdipped stainless nails on all my ladder stands. taz
Old 09-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

My hunting partner and I built this stand back in..1993...if I remember right. I climbed it Saturday for the first time in 2 years and it was still going strong. (knock on wood)

16' fall...that had to leave a mark. [:@]