HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Homemade Wood Treestand Plans (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/109341-homemade-wood-treestand-plans.html)

Scoobiedoo 08-18-2005 08:20 AM

Homemade Wood Treestand Plans

Has anyone seen/have a copy of these plans?

I'm seeking a sharper copy/image of these plans.

They are used to build some nice wood, heavy-duty, homemade wood treestands that i have seen successfully used for bowhunting.

?

WARedBear 08-18-2005 10:07 AM

RE: Homemade Wood Treestand Plans

I've never seen these plans but I can tell you from looking at them that there is a lot missing. This picture doesn't show any braces from the platform to the tree...just to name one thing.

Scoobiedoo 08-18-2005 10:24 AM

Sure it does - the left-bottom picture shows the braces made from 2x6 stock that are 1'6" x x 8".

I've seen them and they must work well if guys have made & used 'em.

WARedBear 08-18-2005 10:57 AM

Yes, I see that brace but it's not much. I see that more as the bottom brace of the platform and not a tree brace to prevent the stand from falling forward. The ones I've seen and built have a brace that goes from the front of the stand back to the tree at a 45° angle. This brace and the platform forms a triangle, flat against the tree, flat platform and angle brace. I can't see the right side of your picture for the plans so I don't know what is missing. Looks like two ropes tied around the tree so there must be another, lower, portion to tie to.

Red Bear

Scoobiedoo 08-18-2005 11:24 AM

Funny you should say that - I don't see any slot on the top or bottom side to secure the 'other end' of the rope to the TS.

WARedBear 08-18-2005 11:43 AM

I have a major safety problem with a slot for securing the stand. I would be affraid of kicking the rope out of the slot. I would prefer bolting in a couple of eye bolts and get a tie-down strap to securly fasten the stand to the tree. That way you know you are tight and secure.

Red Bear

Scoobiedoo 08-18-2005 11:57 AM

Yea,
I don't know that I'd actually build one of these and ever use it - but when the saw the one I did I thought it was an interesting home-design that didn't look 1/2 bad. naturally, one would (or should) have a safety belt and I'd trust a web/cam strap or a chain and turnbuckle a lot more than a rope in a slot.

Anyone have any good plans for making some out of aluminum or soemthing?

Tree climber 08-18-2005 12:00 PM

I make a few stands to use for myself and looks like a couple of pages missing to me.

Scoobiedoo 08-18-2005 12:16 PM

I dunno. The stand I saw didn't look any more involved or had more 'parts' then the one above.

Double Creek 08-18-2005 12:42 PM

For the price of lumber these days you could just buy a cheap lock on for about $30.

Or, spend the time it takes you to build that thing mowing a few yards and go out and buy something of quality.