HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Best way to stop a deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/109016-best-way-stop-deer.html)

fatsbucknut 08-15-2005 07:32 PM

Best way to stop a deer?

I've always been a grunt kinda guy but tonight i was watching a hunting video and a guy grunted at a big buck to stop it and it ran like someone shot at it. Do you guys think a whistle would work better? What are your experiences and opinions? Thanks.

Zach

mobow 08-15-2005 07:39 PM

RE: Best way to stop a deer?

A soft grunt has always worked for me, but if you grunted too loudly if the buck was close I could see where it would startle him.

Greg / MO 08-15-2005 07:44 PM

I mouth a soft grunt, and raise the volume if necessary. Be sure to have already drawn your bow; I know it sounds like a no-brainer, but I came back to camp a few years ago while bowhunting Alabama, and one of the more tenured hunters in camp had a wallhanger come through and whistled him to a stop. The buck stopped, whirled and looked straight up at him. He had no chance to draw, and lost the opportunity.

Tribal 08-15-2005 08:55 PM

Always used a soft mouth grunt. I did however mouth grunt a doe last year and she really took off. I also saw that on a video once where the doe did not react well also. But I think it depends on how on alert the deer is.

bigbulls 08-15-2005 08:58 PM

I prefer to just shoot them.;)That usually stops then pretty good.

Just kidding. If I need to stop a deer I just make a soft grunt like sound with my mouth. And I agree, be at full draw before you make the noise.

lou-lou 08-15-2005 09:00 PM

A pick up truck, would stop them dead, just kidding, a soft grunt works great before the shot, just to stop them I would use the can by primos.

TimberCreek 08-15-2005 09:08 PM

I have whistled before and they take off, so my experiance is not to whistle. A soft grunt if you have the callhandy and I havemade grunt noises in my throat pretty successfully. But most of the time I just drop them.

Dairy King 08-15-2005 09:10 PM

MAAHHHHH

rack tracker 08-15-2005 09:21 PM

LIke dairy king said forget about those things in your hand or mouth, MMaaaaaa, like a sheep el do just fine. Worked 4 me so many times in the past. If it aint broke, don"t fix it.
Sean

VaSavage270 08-15-2005 10:34 PM

All I can say is Maaahhhhhhhhhhh., Even though I like the primos can. I don't want anything in my hands but my bow at full draw once he stops.