Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best way to stop a deer? >

Best way to stop a deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best way to stop a deer?

Old 08-16-2005, 06:49 AM

Default RE: Best way to stop a deer?

Maaahhhhhhhhhhh.,
that's all Iv'e ever used with my own deer voice. Never had one bolt yet....
Old 08-16-2005, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've actually onlytried tostop one deer. I tried the maa thing and I just wasn't loud enough, by the 3rd one and getting louderI was running out of room in my window, the shot was only15 ydsso I drilled him at a slow walk.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I've found that saying "Busted !" in a conversational tone usually makes them stop . Permanently ...
Old 08-16-2005, 08:58 AM

I prefer to just shoot them.
I'm with Bigbulls on this one. A razor sharp broadhead though the lungs usually dose the job.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:22 AM

Ipicked up a bowhunting video by Muzzy calledBad To The Bone Bucks 2, great video, and one of the guys called in a monster, was at full draw, and did a soft mouth grunt. No response by the deer. He did it a few more times and no response. Then he finally made a few kissing noises and the buck stopped right there and he shot. So if they don't stop with a grunt, make a few kissing noises, my dad does this too.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mack truck at 75mph!

Mike

Old 08-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no idea what is the best way, but I either grunt on my "bowgrunter plus" its hands free....or just grunt with my voice...
Old 08-16-2005, 11:31 AM
New Sheriff

I bet I've whistled at a 100 deer and haven't had one stop yet.

The soft bleat gets em every time tho...
Old 08-16-2005, 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: shed33

I have no idea what is the best way, but I either grunt on my "bowgrunter plus" its hands free....or just grunt with my voice...
I have only had to stop one deer and it was also with this call. It works great. You can keep the tube in your mouth at full draw. I usually just shoot them if they are walking slowly.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: shed33

Big J, if you said hey to me...........I would stop and listen too!!!!!!!!! Your big enough to burn diesel !!!!!! Now you know I mean that respectfully, I was reading your post the other day about playing pro football....football was a big part of my life as well... college level only for me though.. to small to white andto slowfor the next level..

One question? do you have a hard time finding a good treestand to hold you and fit you??? Have a good one..

Troy
Shed33

I have a hard time finding anything to fit me

I have one stand that goes to 400lbs a North Star,but mostly I can get away with the 300lb capacity. I know the stands will hold much more (about 3x) what they are rated at so I feel pretty good about a 300lb rated stand as long as it's from a good company.

As far as "fitting" good on them....forget it! But I love to huntsoI just make do with what I have.

As far as football goes, I love the sport but now at 40 I'm starting to pay the price. I just had surgery on my left knee on 7-25-05 and have my right one scheduled to be operated on the 29th of this month. My first for the right knee (3rd time for the left) But I'm getting around just fine now so I will be ready for this hunting season. I can't complain though.....football has been good to me.

The biggest difference from major college football to the NFL is SPEED! the game moves much quicker. The hitting I thought was about the same but size and speed of those D-backs and linebackerswas nothing like college. Being a pulling guard I know first hand just how hard it is to run one of them down.

Anyway sorry for the highjack.