Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stealth Cam Problem >

Stealth Cam Problem

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stealth Cam Problem

Old 08-13-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Stealth Cam Problem

I bought a $60 Stealth Cam from Wal-Mart about four months ago. I set it up in the woods a few days ago and decided to test it out. The test light would not go on half of the time I walked in front of it. I tried walking in front it of from two, four, six and eight feet, and only got the test light to light up a few times at two and four feet. I also notice when it takes a picture it will make a noise like it is rewinding the film. It doesn't matter if it was the first picture on the role; it will still make that sound. I don't know if it is rewinding or not, because the digital display will say one picture. WhenI firstbought it,it would take a picture fromtwelvefeet, and it wouldn't make the rewindingsound after every picture.Has this happened to anyone else? I know it isn't a very good camera, but it should work better than that.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:12 PM

Default RE: Stealth Cam Problem

I have several Stealth Cams and all mine are pretty good cameras. I have gotten many good pics with them.To me they perform just as good as some of the high dollar models just without some of all the bells and wistles that really arent needed anyway. The "rewinding" sound is probably just the film advancing to the next picture. I have had a few that would seem to have a delay in the test light, but it doesnt seem to affect the actual camera mode. If you bought it from Walmart and arent satisfied with the one you have, just go exchange it.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:27 PM

make sure you have the camera angled slightly down or the sensor does not work well.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:30 PM

well a cheaper camera like that has cheaper stuff on the inside of it. The sensor on that camera is horrible. Sometimes it will go off right away and other times will wont go off for like 10 seconds? it's just how it is. U will get alot of pictures where half the deer is off the picture too. Dont get me wrong u will get some nice pictures now and then but it doesn't compare to the higher dollar cameras at all. Dont worry just make sure it takes at least one picture and then leave it alone and it will take pictures no worries
Old 08-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a couple of these. They make noise. That is the film advancing. Yes, they are loud and I have pics of many deer walking the first pic and running away the second. If you are looking for quiet and a good trigger you are also looking at more money. I do get many decent pics though. I will soon have a better digital. BTW, has anyone tried the new Leaf river Infared?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would just go exchange it.mine are actually pretty quiet. use good quality alkaline batteries and 400 kodak speed film. also change the setting to take a picture every 2 minutes after it first triggers . this will help from getting pictures of the same deer. from my couple years of using it only in the spring and summer months any noise or flash doesnt seem to bother the deer . i know this because i will get 2 or 3 pictures of the same deer on different nights. also since i havent found a way to easily lock it to the tree i use camo tape on the case to hide it better . ive found using a can of band-aid color spray paint from wally world when sprayed on the black strap that gets tied to the tree makes it near invisible . i just soak the spray paint in big patchs on the strap. i set mine about waiste high and set it to so it isint facing direct east or west so it doesnt false trigger at sun rise or sun set.if your not an outfitter or own a ranch and doing it only a couple times a year for fun you can buy 5 of them for the price of a good digital.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

The "rewinding" sound is probably just the film advancing to the next picture.
I would tend to agree with that. Both of mine make a small noise but hardly something I would worry about. The light does only go off infrequently but I believe that is probably because it is attunedto picking up changes in body heat and motion, not just one or the other. If you are already standing in front of the cam and the light goes on once then you move closer and it doesn't go on again then I would belive that it is because it is still detecting the same temperature as a few seconds before when you tripped it the first time.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

I have had 2 stealth cams, one plain (stolen), and one camo with locking bracket and cable. Both take acceptable pics. The sound is the film advancing. The actual rewinding sound lasts for a good 8 to 10 seconds when you manually rewind it. Mine is about 5 1/2 ft high and angled down a bit. Here are links to some recent pics:

http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maturedoes1ud.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doeandfawns9um.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smallbuck5kj.jpg
http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=813lo13ri.jpg
http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image=813df2zs.jpg
http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image=813d2f9ns.jpg
http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image=8133buck0ed.jpg
Old 08-17-2005, 08:51 PM

Stealthcam products are marginal at best. The reality of it is why buy when you can build. Cabelas has a big name camera going for 699.00 IR version for like a $100 more. You can build the same exact camera for a max of $300 to $325if you want the IR add $25 to the overall cost.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had nothing but great success with my marginal StealthCam. Pictures wont get any better than what I've seenwith any camera.
I picked up my StealthCam at Sheels. I've seen the ones at Walmart and they do not look the same as mine. I dont know if Walmart is selling rejects or what , but they dont appear to be the real StealthCam from what I've seen.

Quick Reply: Stealth Cam Problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.