Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Nocks too tight ??? >

Nocks too tight ???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nocks too tight ???

Old 08-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nocks too tight ???

I'm trying out these high carbon beeman arrows and the nocks seem like they snap on. Is there such a thing as too tight? I burned one knock and it caught fireand opened two others and broke them trying to spread them apart.Seems too me I would get a double recoil if there too tight? I dunno? The owner at the archery shop said it would be okay. Thanks.
Bobby
Old 08-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Nocks too tight ???

There isn't necessarily "too tight" as long as all the arrow/nocks are consistant. Having your setup for one type of nock and then changing can and will change your setup if the new nocks are fitted tighter than the former.....
Old 08-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

So does that mean there okay?
Bobby
Old 08-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you mean too tight on the string or in the arrow?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

My apology, there too tight on the string.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

As long as they are consistant on the string, they are fine.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tend to disagree, Rob. Nocks can be too tight. Stuffing a fat string in a skinny nock slot can cause the nock to break on release and cause a dry fire. Even if it doesn't break, the nock won't come off the string as clean as it should, causing potential loss of accuracy and some arrow speed.

A bit of snap is okay, even mandatory for a release shooter. But anything where it's noticeable you're having to use an abnormal amount of force to push the nock onto the string or pull it back off, that's too tight.

For fingers shooters, the nock should be tight enough so the arrow will hang from the string, but it should be loose enough that it will fall off when you thump the string with your finger. I like them to have a bit more snap than that for a release, but not much.

If I get nocks that are too tight, I'll replace them with nocks that fit the string, replace the serving with a thinner diameter serving thread or take an emory board and open the nocks up a bit. The old style glue on nocks, you could heat them upby holding them in a pan of boiling water for a few seconds, then pop them on and off the string a few times to open them up. That won't work with most of the new nocks.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

In that respect Aurthur I agree but unless he's had custom strings made, there are no nocks that don't properly fit factory strings/servings and I'm betting we're talking factory here.....good point tho.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:26 AM

I had some that were so tight that when I shot the nock stayed on the string and the arrow kept on going.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

For years, when I get a knock that is too tight, I insert the knock end of the arrow (knock in place obviously) into a saucepan of boiling water for a few seconds. \When the knock is well warmed, remove it from the water and repeatedly snap it onto and off of the string until it cools down.

In this way all my knocks have very much the same fit on the string.

Quick Reply: Nocks too tight ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.