Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Luckiest shot?

Old 08-10-2005, 10:00 AM

Default RE: Luckiest shot?

A friend of mine was Bear hunting with a bowand a bear came in facing to the shooters right and he drew his bow ( the bear was still facing to the right when he shot ) and at the shot the bear turned and was leaving to the LEFT and the arrow entered the bears vitals from the left side....The bear must have moved about 5 feet to the left before the arrow entered the vitals! ....LUCKY
Old 08-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is one I will never forget! I was heading out for an afternoon bowhunt back some yrs ago can`t really remember the yrBut anyways I was headedfor a hardwood ridge that that had a couple of tree`s that was startingto dropaccornsthat I had found walking back from the morning stand earlyer that same day. I had my climbing stand on my backand Iwas making all kinds of noise[:'(]. when I crossed this little stream to head up the ridge I jumped two does? They ran stright up the hill away from me? I was hot and sweaty [:'(]and was in no big hurry so I just stood there watching and listening for any sounds.When my eyes cought a glimps of one of thedoe`s heading right back to me? I was not even behind any cover I was right out in the open and still she kepted walking straight at me. At this point she was about 60yrds out and Every time she would walk behind at tree I would make my move First I put on my release then I managed to nock an arrow. When she was about 30yrds I drew my bow she must have seen me move because she stopped right where she was and startedstairing right at me[]I held and held what seemed to be be forever! When she turned broadside I took aim right behind the left shoulder and released the arrow?Every thing seem to moving in slow motion for moment.the arrow was about half way to her when she started turning around to run back the way she came. Her head ended up right were was right in front of her shoulder whenI heard a loud pop? She hit the ground right where shehad stood! The arrow hit her right inthe head right in front of the right ear[:-]the arrow was sticking out all but the broadhead.Not the hunt or shot I had in mind? But what the heck I still got my deer."Crazy thing to see"
Old 08-10-2005, 11:50 AM

Mine would have to be my first deer i ever shot two years ago when i was 15. I was sitting in my gun tower eating a sandwhich on opening morning of gun season at about 8:30. Me and my uncle were the land and my dad and the landowner were hunting on the other property. Well, i was watching does all morning and didnt want to shoot any of them. I wanted a buck. Well, i turned around to look down into the valley and i saw movement. So i picked up my 20 guage and got ready. I saw the one had antlers and then i saw another smaller buck. I waited for the "bigger" one to step out. He did, and i was shaking from excitement when i shot. I hit him, thinking that i missed because he just jumped and walked away. I lost site of him because it was so thick down there. Well, about 1 minute later i heard 2 rounds fired from my uncles direction and he took down the other one i didnt shoot at. We had our 2 way radios and he told me the one i shot was down and so was his. I waited a while before i went to clean him. It was cold that morning so my dad and landowner came back to this land from the marsh, and i told him i shot a buck and he was never more proud of me. We went to go get the buck i saw where i shot him. I aimed for the heart but i hit him in the neck and made a hole about 6 inches in diameter. Really tore him up. He was only a little 5 pointer but he was a trophy in my book.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:37 PM

Not really a lucky shot, but a lucky turn of events. A few years ago I was hunting and it was an all day hunt where my wife told me I could hunt until dark. So, this opportunity doesn't come along too often nowadays. Anyway, I was sitting in my stand and I usually have my bow in my lap or positioned in my hand always ready to go. It was after enjoying my lunch that I relaxed a bit and allowed my bow to hang on my hook above my head. Well, here comes 2 deer. Both does. I reach up, grab my bow without looking at what I was doing because I wanted to watch the deer and their movements instead of watching what i was doing. Well, i hit a branch taking my bow down, my arrow popped off it's rest, clanked onto my stand, down on another branch, then clanked to the ground. I'm sure it really didn't make much noise, but at the time it might have well been dynomite! The deer stopped in their tracks, looked right at me for about 10 minutes, etc. I thought I would be busted. Nope. They settled down, I was able to nock another arrow and dropped 1 doe as she walked right by me. Go figure?!
Old 08-10-2005, 03:34 PM

i shot a buck at 250 yards (LRF) when he was running all out. I was covering a drive when i shot a doe that came out to me. Then a buck with several does popped out about 100 yards away across open pasture. I took a shot, and thought i had hit the buck. As he ran, i shot again. After he hopped the fence that went around the pasture, i saw he would get across a gravel road and possibly sneak off wounded. I took a long shot on him running to try and put him down. I put the crosshairs ahead and above him, and squeezed off a road. I was amazed as he dropped on the spot, and kicked for a few moments before becoming still. After autopsy, it turned out that i had missed the first two shots and the third shot hit him slightly below the spine, killing him almost instantly.

slayer
Old 08-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

One day I was in my stand hadn't seen hardly anything all monthand I had a doe and a yearling walk up and I decided I was going to shoot the first one that gave me a good shot. The yearling come in to about 17 yrds and I had a good quartering shot and the deer was feeding in acorns with it's head wrapped in behind it's front leg I shot and when the arrow hit it sounded like you hit a turtle with a rock and the deer just fell. The arrow hit right between the ears I mean dead center. I guess the deer jumped the string.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

A few years ago, I had a nice buck I'd rattled in standing about fifteen yards away perfectly broadside. I drew, placed my twenty-yard pin a hair low about six inchesbehind his front shoulder, slowly squeezed the release... and watched the deer pile up like he'd been hit by a two-by-four upside the head. I instantly knew something was wrong; he should have ran about forty yards or so with a double-lung hit.
I stared at him for several seconds before noticing my arrow sticking straight up just in front of his ear. Upon tracing the flight of the arrow back to me, I noticed a freshly clipped, very small branch that couldn't have been more than an eighth of an inch around directly in the path of where my arrow had just been. I hadn't even seen it, but it sent my arrow exactly where it needed to be to get the job done extremely quickly. Funny, because just a couple days prior to that, a buddy (who is not a hunter) had asked me why I didn't aim for their heads, thinking it would produce quicker kills. After explaining the differences in kill-zone sizes, I then proceed to take my next one with a broadhead to the brain.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:20 PM

About 7 years ago I was sitting in my stand watching a doe coming by me at 50 yds.I had been in my stand for an hour when I saw her way out.On the way to my stand I put on some wildlife research's #307 .When the doe crossed my path she followed it to the base of my tree and looked right up at me.When she saw the blob in the tree she got spooked and nerves.I couldn't draw on her because she was on me or no shot was possible. She kept her eye on me the whole time untill she got in the brush.When she was 25 yds I saw a opening between a tree that split. The tree was 15yds from me and 10 from her. The gap was about 6" wide and I knew if the arrow passed through it would be a clean kill.She stopped there for what seemed like 10 minutes and then the vitals came into view. I drew and released in one motion and watched the arrow disappear in her side. The arrow entered at the liver and exited behind the shoulder oppisite side. In three bounds she was out of site.About a half hour later and 25 yds she layed. All with my 60# recurve without sites.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:25 PM

About three years ago i was hunting a swamp and had several doe's moving through, it was late Oct, and the rut was starting to heat up in these parts, I had myloc-on stand hanging in a tree full of narley branches and about 10 ft off the ground with several branches impairing my shots it was a last minute stand site and dint'nt want to thromp though the swamp, as i sat there thinking this stand site really bites here come a nice 9 pointer he's really taken his time as with each step closing the distance,finally he's about 18 yards but like i said there are all these branches so i have to lean way out with my safety belt stretched to the max and canter my bow so that i could clear a branch, i placed the pin at the vitals(i thought) and let the arrow fly, the buck droped right now thrashing in the water and muck, and before i could get out he was dead, as i approched the deer i noticed the arrow sticking through his neck, i never really could figure out why i was so off with the shoot. but i would rather be lucky then good any day, fast kill i had ever seen and easy tracking too.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I had a buck jump the string. I was aiming for his chest but hit his neck. He didn't even make it 50 yards, though, as it took out his corotid artery and jugular vein.

With the rifle I took a free hand shot at a caribou that was 150 yards off. I aimed right behind the shoulder and shot. Hr dropped in his tracks. When we got up there, we found that the bullet went in right behind his jaw and out his eye socket.

Quick Reply: Luckiest shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.