Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Field Dressed Deer Weights-Pet Peeve >

Field Dressed Deer Weights-Pet Peeve

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field Dressed Deer Weights-Pet Peeve

Old 09-26-2002, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Field Dressed Deer Weights-Pet Peeve

In MD, all of the deer are weighed on certified scales at the checking station so there's no question. Most does range from the upper 70's to low 100's. Average bucks range from around 100 to significantly over 200 for a few real bruisers--most are around 120 or so. On Aberdeen Proving Ground (the military installation), the deer weigh FAR less with even most bucks weighing under 100 lbs. I was fortunate in the 5 years I hunted there to get bucks weighing 144, 137, 175 and 141--4 very big bucks for Aberdeen!

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:37 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Our local archery shop (IL) has a big deer contest every year. Rack score, heaviest buck, heaviest doe. The heaviest buck is usually in the 200-210 range, with the heaviest doe being 110-130.

JRW
Old 09-26-2002, 11:08 AM

The first deer I shot was a doe that I took 32 years ago. It was killed in a park where the park rangers weighed and aged every deer. This doe field dressed at 160 which was the largest doe they ever weighed. 32 years later, I've yet to take a buck that was that big and I've taken a few nice ones. The largest racked deer I've ever personally witnessed, weighed in at 145 field dressed and this is in New York state where the deer certainly aren't known for being small.

Old 09-26-2002, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

In my area, the does generally go from 110's to the 120's. My largest buck weighed 195lbs, next biggest was 190lbs, then 183lbs, then a couple in the 160's and one in the 150's. A friend of mine shot a buck last year that dressed at 214lbs. Hunters tend to tell hunting stories like fisherman tell fishing stories. The rack is always bigger, the body always bigger, and on and on and on.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Where I am in Northern WI, our bucks average 100-120 lbs. We occasionally take a monster that weighs 160 and I remember a big 9 point that went 185 once.
We weigh each deer before hanging it on the pole.
-ost
Old 09-26-2002, 02:40 PM
ck
Fork Horn

My biggest was 227 at the check in station. An Indiana 9pt.corn feed buck. Too bad all the points were broken. That was dressed weight.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

My observations are the same as most others in the northern section of the US. We are in Dairy country, in central NY - Not as rich in crops as the midwest, but pretty good.

We've been weighing deer for over 15 years, and have recorded over 200. We've been able to come up with averages based on yr class up to 3-1/2.

Averages:
Fawns - 75 lbs dressed (varies widely from 50 lb to over 100lb)
1-1/2 doe 90-110 lb dressed
1-1/2 buck 125 dressed (though we see 140lb + deer taken every year)
2-1/2+ doe 120 lb dressed
2-1/2+ bucks 150 lb dressed

The data on 3-1/2 yr+ deer is small so I cannot give Averages with any degree of certainty. The heaviest buck I took weighed 186 lb dressed. Every year someone in our near proximity takes a 200 lb dressed buck - with the largest I saw at 210.

The largest Doe I weighed was 145 lbs dressed - she looked very big. We've take several in this range, but I've not recorded one larger.

We find that the "longer deer" when hanging, usually weigh more. I've seen barrel chested, thick necked bucks that only weighed in the 150s, and sleek, long bucks that go from the top of the pole to the ground go over 160.

Interesting topic, Averages are one thing, but it would seem that there are always highs and lows, even within age classes of deer. Weight can be dependant on habitat, time of year, how active (or inactive) buck is in the rut, birth date and many more.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:59 PM

Of all the deer I've shot and my hunting partners have shot we've never weighed a single deer. I really would have no idea what to even guess the weight of a good size Iowa deer would be. I do know that they drag pretty heavy, especially uphill! LOL!!
Old 09-27-2002, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

farm hunter...that is a shame that MOST of your data is not from the 3.5 year old range and older rather than for 2.5 and younger! Out of 200 deer and 15 years there weren't enough 3.5 year old deer shot to even figure an average? Geez, that says volumes. Nothing against you but it sounds like there are a lot of hunters shooting lots of very young deer in your area. If more were let go so they could grow then your averages would skyrocket and that 186 lb. hog of a buck that you shot would be the average instead of the exception.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

farm hunter...that is a shame that MOST of your data is not from the 3.5 year old range and older rather than for 2.5 and younger! Out of 200 deer and 15 years there weren't enough 3.5 year old deer shot to even figure an average? Geez, that says volumes. Nothing against you but it sounds like there are a lot of hunters shooting lots of very young deer in your area. If more were let go so they could grow then your averages would skyrocket and that 186 lb. hog of a buck that you shot would be the average instead of the exception.

Quick Reply: Field Dressed Deer Weights-Pet Peeve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.