Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats your fastest hunt? >

Whats your fastest hunt?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats your fastest hunt?

Old 08-08-2005, 02:40 AM

Default RE: Whats your fastest hunt?

Two years ago, i was hunting some new land. the area i scouted, was taken by another hunter, man i was mad, so i went to another spot, walked until the sun started crackin the horizen i figured i needed to get into a tree so i picked a pine on the edge of an oak flat, got up in there, two min later a doe walked out, I took a shot.....and LOW, i hit a tree root under her, she ran off blowin i was mad, not even five min later an 8 pointer walked up to twenty yards, i took the shot, he ran twenty yards and dropped, finally got my wall hanger.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Three years ago on the opening day of gun season, I was hunting at home in the U.P. of Michigan, but it was very warm for Nov. 15 and the fog was unreal. I got to my stand at around 5:30 a.m., well before first light normally, but today it was not until nearly 7:30 before I could even see ten yards. Well, I was sitting there in my blind and I could hear some faint footsteps coming toward me. I looked out the side window of my blind and there was a nice 8-pointer standing there, not 15 feet away. I of course got a little fever, and then I was trying to figure out how to get this deer without him seeing me. So I raised my gun and got it to my shoulder, all below window level and then gently eased the door open just enough to see out of and shot him that way. The total hunt was probably close to 2 hours long, but as far as time from being able to see was about 5 minutes! A 7mm does some damage at the15 foot range! Poor buck nearly had powder burn!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:46 AM

November 12th of last year.......In my stand by 3:57pm.....doe walksby at 4:12pm.....followed by a buck........shot buck at 4:22pm......buck was field dressed, tagged and on the way to the butcher by 5:15pm.
I saw the buck go down, which made for a real fast recovery. I was a little upset that it ended so fast!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 12:41 PM

That would be this past opening day of bow season.

I was set up in a point of trees going out into a cotton field where the deer would enter the woods after crossing the field at first light. I was in my stand plenty early and got settled in. Well shooting light was like 6am or so and at shooting light i had 3 come in from behind me to my left. I drew my bow aimed and shot sending my arrow straight through the boiler room, well one of the others took off for parts unknown but the 3rd ran and stopped at 20 yards so with a 2 deer a day limit i decided to take another shot. grabbed another arrow from my quiver nocked it drew aimed and shot sending it through the boiler room as well. I looked at my watch so i would know what time i shot so i could wait to get down and it was less than 90 sec since shooting time. I ended up not having to wait. After scanning the surrounding area with my binos i spotted both deer down for the count. 1 20 yards from my stand the other 50 yards. By far the fastest hunt i have had.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:35 PM

My fastest hunt was actually with a shotgun. Walked into the woods on a Thursday to double check my stand for Saturday and figured I should bring my shotgun just in case. So I go walking in with jeans, a white t-shirt so other people can see me and my shotgun with one slug. Darn if a nice 8 pointer didn't walk 50 yards in front of me only 100 yards in. Maybe 3 minutes tops. He dropped after 30 yards. Hardest part was cleaning him with a 2-1/2" pocket knife. I didn't really expect to see anything so I wasn't prepared. Total time was about 20 minutes until he was in my truck.

My fastest bow hunt was 2 hours. I was in the woods at 5:30 and out by 7:30. I took him to the butcher, went home and showered and was at work by 9:30. Not bad for a 100 class 8 pointer in Howard County.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

One morning I was climbing a tree in my climber. Got half way up and saw a doe. Shot it. Climbed to the top and was getting settled in. Saw another doe. Still had two tags for doe so I shot her too. Started climbing down. Saw another doe. Shot her. Elasped time- probably 15 minutes. Spent the rest of the day cleaning deer. Before some of you jump on me for shooting so many does, at that time in that area the buck to doe ratio was around 1:20.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

My fastest hunt was 2 season's ago on the moose hunt we got a bull moose and a bear in 45 minute's ,because the weather was warm we left the next morning for home .I was home before my holiday's even started .

nubo
Old 08-09-2005, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

My personal fastest hunt was on a Sunday afternoon. I climbed into my stand & hooked up my safety strap. When I reached for my line to pull up my bow I saw a doe approaching. I eased the bow up as the deer continued to move my way. I knocked an arrow and she was boardside @ 15 yards. A well placed shot & she piled up just out of site, maybe 50 yards from my stand. It was a warm October day so I gave her 15 minutes and followed up. A quick field dressing and I headed for the house to start the processing. This followed a Saturday hunt were I shot a doe before sunrise, but I had been in my stand for more than an hour as I always try to arrive well before legal shooting time just to let things settle down a bit. I normally put in quite a bit of time for the deer I take but those 2 came real quick.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:09 AM

I've had similar luck, but not that often. Back in 1999 I took to my stand at about 5:30AM, waited until 30 minutes before sun-up, looked about, in walks a herd of about 7-10 does. They all get within 20 yards of me and I shot two (shotgun and we're allowed to take 2 at a time). I dressed both, hauled them to my truck, checked them in, got my buck tag, hung them back at my house 20 minutes away, told the wife I'm going back out, enjoyed another 8 hours in the stand and dropped another doe which I gave to my friend who saw nothing all day yet was about 500 yards from me. That was shotgun.

Last year on opening day of bow season, I climbed into my stand and within 5 minutes of being all set I hear a deer coming my way. Louder and louder it gets. I'm shaking and right underneath me 10 feet below is a large deer...7 pointer, but awesome body size. I probably could have jumped on him Rambo style, but had to let him walk as I needed a doe first. Most of my deer in bow season have been late in the day and always after 1-2 hours of being on stand.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recovered my first deer just an hour after getting into the woods one morning.
I was on a trail that I knew was used by the deer to return to bed from the fields.
Scouting really pays off.

I just wish I hadn't gone through all of that work setting my stand just to take it down in 1 hour.

Quick Reply: Whats your fastest hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.