Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calling Deer

Old 08-03-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Calling Deer

i havent really tried calling for deer so i figured i would come here and ask you guys since you seem like you know a lot about hunting.i was kinda unsure of whenusing a doe bleat such as the Primos can, and a grunt tube would be most successful. i know that its best during the rut, but im not exactly sure when (mid-november, late november).i have hunted deer the past two years,but only with gun. this is going to be my first year bowhunting. if it helps any, i live/ hunt in ohio. thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Calling Deer

was kinda unsure of whenusing a doe bleat such as the Primos can, and a grunt tube would be most successful.
Ya better off just yelling out "hey deer over here"cause when I have used the can the deer done the same as if I yelled out, they put up the white flag and was gone
Old 08-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

was kinda unsure of when using a doe bleat such as the Primos can, and a grunt tube would be most successful.

Ya better off just yelling out "hey deer over here" cause when I have used the can the deer done the same as if I yelled out, they put up the white flag and was gone
Ya see, now that I find funny as it was 3 calls on "the can" that brought my buck within shooting range last season. I would be willing to wager that success with it is going to vary. If last year's experience is any indication I would think that the can would work well during the late pre-rut (mid to late October)in addition to the rut itself in my neck of the woods.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:41 AM

when you use calls and sounds the reults vary form deer to deer, some will go the other way some will come in. Never know how deer will react to a call as each time is different.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes they will work and sometimes they won't. I have had success with both and I have had both of them not work. They won't work far more than they will work but they will sometimes work.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the time of year, I've used the Can right before and at the beggining of the rut and had lots of sucess. It also depends on the deer, Ive messed around w/ calls while deer are rightaround me during all seasons, and they've never reacted. Sometimes the deer just dont want anything to do w/ you. Never had much luck rattling, so i cant help w/ that. I always carry a Can and a grunt call into the woods w/ me. I also tend to "over call" so i set time limits on myself so i dont call every 20 min. i try to space it out at least an hour or so. Thats just my calling strategy. Honestly I count more on putting myself where the deer move than using calls.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:54 AM

I dont want to sound like a jerk, but calling works more often than not, and thereare probably several reasons why some of you dont have success with it.

If you are going to call, you need to set up somewhere with poor visibility around the bottom of your tree. This way when deer come into investigate, they cant see another deer, but realize one could be hidden, so they circle closer. Either that, or use a decoy. When deer come into a call, they have already pinpointed its location, and they are trying to locate that deer with sight or scent.

So you must remain well hidden, and in an area where deer are forced to stay upwind, or crosswind of you. If a deer can circle downwind of you, I dont care what scent-blocking materials you're wearing, they can and will get a whiff of you, because they are trying hard to smell that other "deer"!

Also, you have to do the right calls at the right times, and not too often. The right urgency also has to be given to a call. You cant simply blow a call without thinking about what the deer is trying to communicate! Cadence, tone, etc, (all important)

Many people call too often, and too loudly. Deer are usually on their way to investigate when suddenly they realize something isnt right with this "talkative" "deer".

Deer call year round, and have many different vocalizations. Choosing the right call, and making it sound goodmay seem complex at first, but once you understand it all, its a great way to bring in deer consistantly.

My best advice is to try and hear deer in your area "talking" to each other, and make note of what it sounded like and what time of year it was. Then mimic these sounds as best you can. When calling blindly, do it sparingly, give deer at least an hour to respond (that can vary by your visibility of the area). Call softly, and less frequently, and you will notice that you are much more successful. I called in two of my kills last year alone, and countless others over the years.

Best of luck---Matt
Old 08-05-2005, 10:23 AM

thanks for the advice guys. i was thinking about goin up to the store and buying a set that has a couple calls and a movie about calling deer.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:07 AM

Check out "Deer talk101" http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/deergrunting/deergrunt.html

It will help you to understand deer vocalizations and what call are effective durring the diffrent parts of the rut. IMO if you're going to call and be sucessful you need to know what sounds mean what and how to "put a good call together". It's all about being the deer, if you can't be"the deer" then nothing will respond and you'll likely end up spooking animals.

I've had limited sucess with ratteling. Just a little "tickling of the tine" is what has worked for me. I've tried more agressive sequences but it dosen't seem to work in my area. Buck/Doe ratios are heavy to the doe side.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

Sometimes they will work and sometimes they won't. I have had success with both and I have had both of them not work. They won't work far more than they will work but they will sometimes work.
Same here.... I've had limited success with the can and with antlers. A grunt call on the other hand is priceless. 3 of my best bucks were grunted off the does they were running and into bowrange.

Quick Reply: Calling Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.