Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mythbusters Robin hood >

Mythbusters Robin hood

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mythbusters Robin hood

Old 08-03-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Mythbusters Robin hood

Any one just see the myth busters episode about the Robin Hood? What did you think?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:13 PM

Default RE: Mythbusters Robin hood

didn't see it, what happend though?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:48 PM

They basically said that it would be completely impossible to split an arrow totally in half (end to end) with another arrow.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:06 PM
c j
Typical Buck

I didn't see the episode, but I'd tend to agree that it's probably not possible.

However, it seems to me that Mythbusters occasionally overlooks a lot of variables in their tests, though. Did they try different arrow materials, draw weights, arrow weights, tips, etc?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:07 PM

The guy shooting the arrows was not using a Bowtech Patriot. [:@]
Old 08-03-2005, 09:28 PM

Due to the fact that arrow B would follow the grain of arrow A they could not acheive a complete split. I would pressume that of you could mill an arrow with the grain running true to the arrow the entire length it would be possible.

Metro
Old 08-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Due to the fact that arrow B would follow the grain of arrow A they could not acheive a complete split. I would pressume that of you could mill an arrow with the grain running true to the arrow the entire length it would be possible.
Give that man a cigar! Exactly right. They were also incorrect that there is no documentation that Howard Hill did the split arrow shot in the Errol Flynn version of "Robin Hood." Hill did all the archery stunts in that movie.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:13 AM
CJW

We should all send them a bunch of emails and tell them their screw ups and to try it again.

CJW
Old 08-04-2005, 05:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think they tried that at the end....as well as trying to encase the impacted arrow in copper so that it wouldn't flex and neither helped achieve the desired effect.

Did they try different arrow materials, draw weights, arrow weights, tips, etc?
I remember seeing them use a carbon for part of it but don't remember how they tied it in.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, Frank. They tried dowels they bought at a hardware store and some plain Port Orford cedar shafts, but they didn't try any shafts where the grain ran true from nock to tip. Most dowels and wood arrow shafts these days are made by sawing out the doweling blanks and the grain runs out the side in practically all of them. If they'd used shafts made from shoots or split timber instead, the way arrow makers did it in the olden days, they likely could've gotten their nock-to-tip split.

I nearly sent them an e-mail to tell them they coulda just bought a Hooter Shooter instead of building the contraption they put together.

Quick Reply: Mythbusters Robin hood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.