Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 good news bad news >

good news bad news

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

good news bad news

Old 08-03-2005, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default good news bad news

I checked my food plots yesterday and the good news is the deer are using the soybean plot. The bad news is if they continue at the current rate they will have the whole acre gone before season opens. I didn't do anything about weeds in my milo plot and it appears to be a total flop-no heads at all at this point. I guess I'll give it a couple more weeks and if nothing shows I will work up at least half of it and plant it to winter wheat. That seems to be another favorite of the deer in this area. Only problem with that is there is plenty of it in the immediate area.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: good news bad news

Jackie Bushman advertised a fence that will keep the deer out you could put around your soybeans until the season gets a little closer.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:51 AM

Plot saver might keep them out but I'd be thinking about a forage that can keep up with the browsing of the deer through out the summer and into the fall. This my second year of planting imperial powerplant and I'm truly amazed how well this stuff hold up to heavy grazing and continues to produce up through the first heavy frost. Last year I just had a small 1000 sq' test plot. The deer ignored the 1/2 acre of clover and just tore up the powerplant. It reached a max height of about 5 feet but on average the deer had it mowed to about 3 ft.

If you're having a problems with the soy beans not keeping up with the deer, try a small plot of powerplant next spring. Seed is a bit pricey but IMO it's worth the price to plant once and be happy with the results. A half acre of seed is about $50.00. I'd be surprised if after trying it, that you didn't switch all you're annuals over. I've been thinking that when the clover needs to be reseeded that I would turn more ofthe limited space I have into annual plots.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Are you planting the powerplant in an agricultural area? I am trying to come up with something the deer will prefer thru the fall & the beans seem to be something they are hitting hard this fall and in years past the large fields would have deer on them until harvested and the field worked up for the next years planting.