Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
If you miss a deer do you stay in your stand? >

If you miss a deer do you stay in your stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you miss a deer do you stay in your stand?

Old 09-25-2002, 06:40 AM

Default If you miss a deer do you stay in your stand?

This is my first year bow hunting and was just wondering if I should shoot at a deer early in the morning should I stay in the same location or pack it up and move?

If you are what you eat them I am fast cheap and easy.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:43 AM

Default RE: If you miss a deer do you stay in your stand?

If you know for SURE you missed, YES.If your not sure you need to get down and check for blood and stuff.

Hurry up and wait.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Depends on the situation, I'd most likely stay put. I've seen the exact same animal come back around for another look see...I've arrowed a few that were sniffin the first arrow.

During the rut...hang tight, another will be by..especially if that first one was trailing a doe in heat.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:00 AM

I'd stay put. The scent just may attract something else. Same thing with going to a stand in the dark. I've jumped deer before near my tree and still saw deer later that morning.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Even if I am sure I missed I always get down and check for blood on the arrow. Sometimes the eyes can be decieving.

Last year I had arrowed a doe and called the wife to let her know it would be a late night. While I was in the stand on the cell phone 4 more deer walked by at about 20 yards. Definitely stay if you think the stand location is a good one.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

birdhunter I would definantly stay in my stand after a miss or a hit for a minimum of 30 minutes on a hit and until you would have left normaly if you are SURE it is a clean miss. I have had doe pass my stand during buck only and they have been followed by a buck, I have missed a doe and all she did was spook just out of range and go right back to eating.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 09-25-2002, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

I carry a small pair of binocs in my pack. Once things have setteled down from the shot, I pull them out and eyeball the impact area looking for the arrow, hair, kicked up leaves etc. I pinpoint the spot for when I do get down and begin trailing.

One word of caution though, red doesn't always mean blood. I've gotten excited over what I thought was blood and it was meerly dogwood berries.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:47 AM

If I missed a deer most likely I would stay put. It all depends on the time of year and weather, and the deer movement.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:48 AM

THERE IS NO QUESTION ABOUT THIS ONE. STAY PUT UNTIL YOU KNOW WHATS GOIN ON. I HAVE CALLED DEER BACK IN THAT I HAVE MISSED BEFORE. DO NOT GIVE YOU STAND AWAY UNLESS YOU ARE SURE OF THE FINALITY.

HUNT ON HUNT HARD EAT WELL
Old 09-25-2002, 08:48 AM

THERE IS NO QUESTION ABOUT THIS ONE. STAY PUT UNTIL YOU KNOW WHATS GOIN ON. I HAVE CALLED DEER BACK IN THAT I HAVE MISSED BEFORE. DO NOT GIVE YOU STAND AWAY UNLESS YOU ARE SURE OF THE FINALITY.

HUNT ON HUNT HARD EAT WELL

Quick Reply: If you miss a deer do you stay in your stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.