Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Draw

Old 08-01-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Bow Draw

Hey Everyone,
I'm here in Iraq, scheduled to come home in Jan 06. While here, one of my kids broke the string to my bow. It was an old whitetaile extreme so i was going to repace it anyway. I found a Bow I wanted to order before I get home and can't remember my Draw length. Its either 28" or 29" any tips????
Old 08-01-2005, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow Draw

Can't help with your question on draw length.However, I would like to thank you for serving our country. Thank you and God bless all of you so you come home safely. Where are you stationed at currently and where are you looking forward to coming home to?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

I would like to also thank you for your service to our country. To answer your question, if you order a 29 inch draw, you can set it back to a 28 inch draw, if needed. Most bows have an adjustible draw length of at least a couple inches. Check the specs on the bow you want to order, to be sure. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:36 AM

First off, thank you for serving our country!

Secondly its probably best to just wait till you get home to order the bow.

New bows will be out by then, and not to mention, every bow feels slightly different in the hand, and you may need the draw to be set differently, or you may not actually like the way it feels when you shoot it. I know its tough to wait, but you would be better off coming home, trying them out, getting measured up to fit it perfectly and then ordering the bow.

Good luck with the new bow when you get a chance to get it, and stay safe over in the sandbox!---Matt
Old 08-01-2005, 10:01 AM

A good way to get close to your draw length is to take your arm span from tip of finger to tip of finger and divide it by 2 1/2.

Example if your arm span is 70 inchesthen draw length should be about 28 inches.

This is just a guide line and a good archery shop should be able to fit you better to not only the draw length but a bow. If you don't wait do what the others have said and make sure you buy something that can have the draw length adjusted either with the cables or by changing modules or cams.

Hope this helps.
Jeremy
Old 08-01-2005, 10:20 AM

What kind of bow is it? Some are adjustable, some use a module, some need a whole new cam. Are you getting it from a pro shop, or ordering off the net?

I would say get the 28 inch version, since most shoot too long a of a draw length any way. If you don't like it and it's adjustable then just move it a little. If it takes modules or a new cam just swap them out until it fits you. If you are getting it thru a shop it should not cost you anything. They should do the swap for nothing, it's usually a one for one type of thing. Now if you want to keep the old module or cam it will cost you. Modules are usually around 10-15 bucks and I think cams are like 60-100. I could be off on the cams, I've never owned a bow that worked that way.

If you are ordering the bow to have it shipped to where you are I'm not sure what route I would take. Maybe get the 28 inch model and if it doesn't feel right add a string loop until you get home. The type of release you use makes a difference as well sometimes. Unless you shoot fingers.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-02-2005, 03:51 PM

Thanks everyone, Ya'll have been a big help, I think I will wait till i get home, i'm just a little ancy. As for the type of bow its a Ben Pearson Pride Bow.(can be seen in cabelas magazines) I just started bowhunting like three years ago, I spent that time just learning how to shoot. Not much killed but a few doe's and 8 Pointer and 9 Pigs. So now its time to step it up. If there are any other suggestions, all would be appriciated. thanks again, and RECON!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:01 PM

Keep on keeping on man. We all apreciate what you are doing over there.I
have a friend who shoots a pearson and he likes it real well.Good luck.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:12 PM

A few does an 8 pointer and nine pigs... in three years. Nice work
Old 08-03-2005, 03:59 PM

hey woodman, in georgia, pigs come a dime a dozen, and as for the deer, the 8 pointer, i got my first weekend there and the does over the three years. considering you can kill 10 does and 2 bucks per season i was a little disapointed but thanks. Its great hearing from ya