Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A word of caution. >

A word of caution.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A word of caution.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A word of caution.

I've done that b4.. it sucks
Old 07-31-2005, 08:28 PM

Definately a good point to bring up. My friends dad had his loop fail at an indoor range at half draw and sent an arrow flying into the wall. Scared the crap out of all of us. Be safe everyone...this sport does have its dangers.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the club!
Old 07-31-2005, 08:47 PM

Good point, we all check cams and strings but most, me included- have neglected the loop. One thing though. How many pounds do you pull? A better bowhunter than me taught me to draw from lower to higher. In other words raise the bow to shooting height while pulling back. It does require a bit more strength but uses a lot less movement than if someone raised a bow over their head and pulled the bow down to help with a heavy draw. You did say your arrow sailed into the trees, Next time let it hit the ground between you and your target.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:07 PM

I have been leary of that and have been watching it cause I'm new to the loop (been just clipping on the string) but thanks for the heads up. When I read your post I all of a sudden got a mental picture of you doing that and can't stop laughing. I am so sorry. It's just the picture of your eyes, like "man what happened". Again I'm sorry for laughing.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Fishhook

I have been leary of that and have been watching it cause I'm new to the loop (been just clipping on the string) but thanks for the heads up. When I read your post I all of a sudden got a mental picture of you doing that and can't stop laughing. I am so sorry. It's just the picture of your eyes, like "man what happened". Again I'm sorry for laughing.
Oh man, don't worry about it. I have to admit, I laughed at myself after it happened. I seriously stumbled back a few steps and was seeing stars. It was funny after the shock of what happened wore off!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:30 AM
g17

Thats exactly why my bow, whatever brand, will have a 36 inch at least axle to axle . SoI dont have to use one of those things.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:45 AM

Hey Washington Hunter,I know how you feel. 2 seasons ago I was drawing back (shooting 83lbs at the time) and my release took a crap and popped off the loop. I punched myself in my eye so hard I ended up on the floor! I darn near knocked myself out! I wrote the company and got a new release for free. A few months later the same thing happened, not quite as hard, but it still left me with a shiner. Needless to say I don't use that brand of release anymore. I can just see it....drawing back on a huge buck and the release would malfunction and I would punch myself right out of the stand [:@].I draw back more towards my chest now so if something happens I won't smack myself in the face.

I always keep an eye on my loop, and replace it with any sign of wear. Make sure you mushroom the ends over really well!
Old 08-01-2005, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im waiting for my day to come to when mine lets go. i made sure to burn the ends of my loop enough soit is less likely to happen, but there's always the chance.
thanks for the reminder though!!
Old 08-01-2005, 06:31 AM

After reading a good portion of the responces I'm feeling a little lucky. I've yet to have it happen (knock on wood) but I change my loop when I change my string every year. Getting in the habit if checking the loop as well as your shafts (if you shoot carbon). It can definately save you some pain.

Quick Reply: A word of caution.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.