HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Question about deer population? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/107211-question-about-deer-population.html)

OHBowhunter 07-31-2005 03:59 AM

Question about deer population?

I've been scouting a new peice of land lately. It's about a 60 acre parcell in the middle of a suburben area. It has a river to one side and a swamp to the other. It is a flood plain so it could never be developed. Now there is not a big woods around for a few miles. The main food source seems to be lots of white oak acorns and grasses. I've been seing a doe with two fawns just about every day on the bank of the river. Seems like she is using it as a sanctuary to raise the fawns. My question is how many deer do you think this 60 acres will hold year round. And is it large enough for a buck to stay on for very long? I have not seen a buck there yet nor have I seen much buck sign.(besides the fawns);)I know the one family lives there but how will the buck or others use this peice of land?

Pro-Line 07-31-2005 05:11 AM

RE: Question about deer population?

I've hunted 60 acres that were lucky to have 3 deer. I've also hunted 60 acres that had probably 30 resident deer. It really depends on the situation, but I'd say that the more "urban" that it is, the more deer it will (has) to support.

kevin1 07-31-2005 07:25 AM

That sounds like rich ground with all that water and food available , perhaps you should hang a well camoflaged trail cam and find out . Sixty acres is almost 1/10th of a square mile , what density per square mile does that area hold consistantly ? Whatever it is divide by 10 and you'll have a reasonable approximate . My area holds about 30-45 per square mile , so the average for a plot that size would be 3.5-4 with probably one being a buck .

WV Hunter 07-31-2005 07:37 PM

My guess would be probably more than you think since the area is suburban.Sounds like an excellent place to be able to hunt. Those type of places usually hold a big one or two. Good luck :D

PABowhntr 07-31-2005 07:44 PM

I think the other guys are on the right track. It is tough to say without seeing the area and scouting around a bit but considering the situation the area could really have the potential for alot of deer. If it is a place often overlooked by other hunters or in some sort of gun-restricted safety zone then I think the potential would be rather good for at least one nice buck to be frequenting the area or using it as a home base of sorts.

bowhuntr4ever 08-02-2005 02:29 PM

well if it is the only shelter around i could hold many deer because i'm going to hunt a piece of ground that is the only shelt around for a mile and has numerous amount of trails leading into it