Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pop-up blind location >

Pop-up blind location

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pop-up blind location

Old 07-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Pop-up blind location

There is a section on my lease, about 25acres, that is scrub cedar. This area borders a pasture and I see pretty good sign on some trails through this area going from the pasture to some really gnarly, thick bottom land. There are no good tree stand locations in this area. The cedars are all pretty small, however they are very thick so I want to set up a pop up blind along one of the trails in this cedar bottom. There are several spots where I can get right as far as wind and sunrise/set goes. What do you think? Is a pop up the right way to go here? Do any of you have any experience with this type of set up? Thanks for your input.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pop-up blind location

Yeap sounds like a good plan, If you can set up in the edge of the cedars try and use the tree line as a funnel to the trails and you should have some luck...
Old 07-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm assuming you'll be bowhunting right? it sounds like a pretty good plan. you might be able to get away with getting up into the cedars a little ways from the trail. you can cut away some of the lower limbs to be able to draw your bow and manuver for a shot if the deer are weary of the blind.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:02 PM

I hunted an area up in the UP of Michigan that sounds exactly like the area you hunt. You have a pretty good plan that should work well. The area I hunted was a cedar swamp and was choked with brush. I had to clear out a shooting funnel in the morning over a trail to get a shot off in the late afternoon but I was able to bag 2 deer from the exact same location in the same season.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a great plan but don't make the mistake of setting the blind up right next to the field. Settle it back in aways so as to catch the deer before entering the field. Deer seem less spooked by the blind back in thicker cover as opposed to a field edge...probably something to do with lighting and shadows.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:35 AM

Sounds good. I have used ground blinds for years. Like PA said, set it back a bit into some high cover so it won't be silhoetted. Deer will be cautious when they see a big blob out in the open that wasn't there yesterday. Also, make sure your blind is big enough for bowhunting. If your back arm or bow hits it during the draw, you will spook 'em. Cut a couple of shooting lanes and leave the windows behind you zipped up or only cracked a little so you can peek out. It will hide your movement better. You need to have better scent control and maybe use a little fox or coon urine outside the bilnd. Whichever is natural to your area. Don't use to much or you will gag all day long. [&:]

Good luck!