Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Changes in my gear for '05!! >

Changes in my gear for '05!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Changes in my gear for '05!!

Old 07-25-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Changes in my gear for '05!!

Well I made 5 big cahnges for this year to my hunting gear. I have been using this gear for awile now so heres my 2 cents worth. 1. I got a Toxonics Top Dog 9 Toolless sight and am super pleased with it. It was expensive but well worth it. 2. I fletched my Acc's with Blazer vanes this year and can say that my arrows are flying even better then they did with the 4 " vanes which did surprize me because they were so small. 3. I switched from SlickTricks to Magnus Stinger Buzzcut 4 blade 100gr and can say that the buzzcuts are way sharper and fly even better then the Tricks did.4.The biggest switch was one thatI never thought I would ever even consider trying. I took off my drop away rests (which Ive tried at least 5 rests) and put on a Whisker Biscuit Deluxe. I can not believe that I shoot so well with this rest. I haven't really tested it for really long shots but it shoots just as well as any drop away that I was using for hunting shots. Plus its so simple and what could go wrong with it? The only draw back was that I lost 2 FPS with this rest. Big Deal. So far I am thrilled with these changes. Of course this is only my opinions.. Happy hunting!!
Old 07-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Changes in my gear for '05!!

One more thing left.... is seeing that arrow go through a 160" deer
Old 07-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

I am surprised to see you switch from Slick Tricks. Did you have issues? My changes for this year:
Went from a Mathews LX to a Switchback
Went from a Copper John sight to a Spot Hogg Hogg It
Went from Carbon Express 3D Selects to Maximas 350's
Went from AAE vanes to Blazers
2things that remains constant for me year to yearare my Slick Tricks, and Muzzy restI have such great luck with them. I would lose confidence switching to something else.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:59 PM

Yes actually I did have issues with the Slick tricks. They did fly good but they were not very sharp. Also I had one kick off a deer which cost me a really nice buck. This may have happened with other heads as well but I lost faith in them and when you lose faith its time for change. AlsoI had one break inside of a deer target.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm keeping with the standard XX75's and everything still the same as last year. However, this year my 125gr Thunderheads are now a backup broadhead and I'm using 100gr 4-blade Magnus Stingers as the primary broadhead.

I did order a 3pack of 125gr Slick Tricks to try out (they should be here today!!) and will see just how well they perform.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Parker, your not the only one.
For now, I have switched from a drop zone to a biscuit deluxe also. My accuracy is the same, but I've only tried it to 30 yards. I'll give it a go and may go back, but right now I can't see why.
I also shoot stingers and slick tricks, why just choose one?
I'll carry as many head asI feel like as long as they all prove to hit whereI aim while practicing. My head of choice is a Muzzy phantom and it's usually the one on the arrow nocked and ready.
New for this year-
STS
S-coil stabilizer
452x string (gibblets finest)
452x floating yoke cable(gibblets specialty)
Scott mongoose release
No-peep
Vital pro gear pro-slide
Shannon 3-d bug tamer
A bow hauling mountain bike to get me there sneaky style[8D]
Old 07-25-2005, 03:11 PM

Only 2 changes for me so far this year. That is subject to change without prior notice. I went from a shoot through rest to a Drop Zone, and switched from Muzzy to Magnus Stinger.
Several changes in my clothing, however. I got rid of all my cotton and went to a layering system. I am anxious to see how this all works.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

My major change is hanging up my crossbow and returning to my Supertec! My shoulder healed well from a torn rotator cuff last spring and I am able to use my Hoyt again.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am glad to see that you continue to evaluate your setup and make beneficial changes. So many folks forget that there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I switched from an AR34 to a Hoyt Vipertec. I also switched from an Impact Archery Cosmic sight to a Vital Bow Gear Profix.
I just bought a couple of packs of Slick Tricks, but they don't seem to be very sharp.

Quick Reply: Changes in my gear for '05!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.