Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 who hunts with a crossbow >

who hunts with a crossbow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

who hunts with a crossbow

Old 07-24-2005, 11:13 AM

Default RE: who hunts with a crossbow

they will all shoot as good as you can hold them. if you shoot off a rest you will hit your own bolts. i like the maxpoint the best it is very smooth and fast to boot. i hunt with crossbows because i have a permit for a back disability. never shot a regular bow before. the excalibur is self maintainable as you can change you own string in about 30 seconds. they are fun to shoot. very addicting.
"dw"
Old 07-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

i do. I use a horton supermag it's a lil older than most of the bows u guys have. It looks just like the youkon. It works for me it's only about 260fps with 150lb pull. I can tear fletching with it out to 30yds which is my max anyways. I've killed a 6pt and a doe with mine in 3yrs of archery hunting.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Here is my crossbow. This thing will split arrows at 30yrds. very deadly and accurate. wouldn't have it any other way

Old 07-28-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't but my brother in law does. I will shoot my compound as long as my shoulder holds out (which may not be that much longer). In Arkansas, where I do most of my hunting, crossbows are legal for archery season for anyone. In Texas, where I live, they are only legal during the gun season, I believe.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Grizz, you can hunt with a crossbow all year in Texas, except during bow season. If your doctor gives you a letter stating you have an upper limb disability that prevents you from using a hand bow, that makes it legal for you to use one in bow season. You gotta have that letter on you when the game warden comes around though.

Only thing you can't hunt with a crossbow in Texas is migratory birds.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:49 AM

Those are somesweet looking bows though.
I use a horton supermag it's a lil older than most of the bows u guys have
I must be blind....... I didn't see a bow in the entire thread..... I did see some guns with strings though [&o]
Old 07-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Grizz, you can hunt with a crossbow all year in Texas, except during bow season. If your doctor gives you a letter stating you have an upper limb disability that prevents you from using a hand bow, that makes it legal for you to use one in bow season. You gotta have that letter on you when the game warden comes around though.

Only thing you can't hunt with a crossbow in Texas is migratory birds.
Arthur P

You areright, but if I can't hunt with it during archery season, what good is it? During gun season, I will hunt with a rifle. One thing I like about the Arkansas bow season is that it lasts until Feb 15. I'll keep on using my compound, I just have to be a lot more careful with my shoulder now.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:58 AM

do it to it...

Have you ever thought about taking 2 of them out with you at the same time? Take off those rifle scopes, add a lazer sight and you could shoot from the hip, 1 in each hand!

Seriously though, what magnification are those scopes? At 30 yards do you feel the added magnification helps you?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MA Jay

do it to it...

Have you ever thought about taking 2 of them out with you at the same time? Take off those rifle scopes, add a lazer sight and you could shoot from the hip, 1 in each hand!

Seriously though, what magnification are those scopes? At 30 yards do you feel the added magnification helps you?
I can tell you that the 2.5x power scope on my mossburg is the most valuable turkey hunting tool I own. Most of my birds are shot within crossbow range. If I were disabled and not able to shoot a bow, I would have a crossbow and it would have a scope on it. I really don't see the huge advantage with using a crossbow, it is the same ranges as a regular bow and I can't think of one scenario when I had the opportunity to draw on a deer and didn't get a killing shot. I don't see myself killing any additional deer that I have lost if I were shooting a crossbow instead in the past. I am glad that he has the opportunity to share the sport I love so much even if he is only able to use a crossbow while doing it.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 4x32 Horton scope on my BOW and it has multi cross hairs for range. great for anything close. I have killed deer right in front of my stand at 20 feet(also 18ft up in the tree) and not had any problems finding target or problems seeing what I am shooting. Take a look thru one next time you are in a store that carries one if you are currious.