Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's too light?? >

What's too light??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's too light??

Old 07-20-2005, 12:09 PM

Default What's too light??

In total arrow weight for typical deer hunting?

I know the opinions will vary but I would like to hear everyone's opinion.

Shooting:
05 Patriot SC, 65 lbs, 28 draw, 271/2 arrow, 100 gr spitfire, whisker biscuit

Shooting about 256 fps now with a GT weighing 388 g.

With the arrows I'm considering going with this season (CE Maxima) I'm looking at about 378-388 grains which puts me around 5.8 grains per pound. Lower than the AMO rec 6 gpp.

Think I'm okay but would like to hear from you experts.

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2005, 04:04 PM

Default RE: What's too light??

As long as you are above 5 ggp, you are fine. There are tradeoffs, however. The lighter the arrow, the less energy is absorbed by the arrow and the bow has to take the rest, making it louder. A heavier arrow will quiet the bow down. Also, a heavier arrow will carry more momentum downrange. But, I have shot a 390 grain arrow completely through a deer at 30 yards. Can't get anymore penetration than that.
As we discussed in your post the other day, 64 pounds of KE is plenty to kill a deer.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get about 52 pound of KE is that enough?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Trapper_Hunter

I get about 52 pound of KE is that enough?
For what? To kill a deer? Absolutely.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:52 PM

MO..I appreciate your response. More relistically going to have 55 lbs of KE b/c I'm only shooting about 255 fps. Arrow willweigh 378 - 388 more than likely. I had a pass through with a 388 gr arrow last yr but the shot was only at 17 yrds.

Just getting caught up in this 6 lb gpp thing and some friends saying never less than 400 grains for hunting. Really prefer the lighter set up but wanted to make sure before investing top $ in arrows.

Thanks again..
Old 07-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't see a major problem with your setup. My hunting arrow weights typically fall between 420 and 445 grains but then again that does in fact have alot to do with the grains per inch number of the stiffer spined arrows that I shoot (longer draw length). Going just by the grains per pound of draw weight ratio doesn't really tell the whole story as it doesn't take into account issues such as draw weight, bow/cam design, efficiency, etc... Along that line of thinking I would have a hard time swallowing someone saying that 6 grains per pound is the lowest weight to shoot for everyone as one shooter could be shooting a 70 pound, 32 inch draw length hard cam bow while the other is shooting a 60 pound, 26 inch drfwa length round wheel bow. 6 grains per pound isn't alway 6 grains per pound for all folks...if you get my drift.

Again, I see no major problem with your setup as long as you are shooting exposed blade broadheads and reasonably responsible distances.