Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spitfire Mechanical Broadheads >

Spitfire Mechanical Broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spitfire Mechanical Broadheads

Old 07-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spitfire Mechanical Broadheads

I use 125 grn Spitfires and I don't think I'll ever use anything else. I shot a 200 Lb buck through the shoulder, lung, heart, then the shaft broke in half. The broadhead must have bounced around, for the 35 yards the deer ran before crashing, because the liver was sliced in 1/2. I love this broadhead and believe if you use it once you will too.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:31 PM

I've used them successfully to takeat leasta dozen deer over the last 4 years, and will say they are a good broadhead. That being said, I'm switching this year back to a fixed head. The main reason is I have noticed on 4 or 5 deer that have been shot with spitfire's (not all mine), all on less than perfect shots, that when the broadhead either remains inside, or slides back out the entrance hole because the blades close when backing out less than 2" there is no additional cutting or damage done. This has lead to longer bloodtrails in my opinion.

I used them originally because they flew so well out of my set-up, dead nuts on with field points and I had not had exact performance like that from a fixed. With some of the latest fixed, I get that as well so the main reason I choose them is moot. Take away the very small flaw of blades not slicing any additonal flesh on exiting the entrance hole and I'll switch back to fixed. Their main advantage now over fixed is they are safer to carry and less likely to cut something (like my finger) while hunting, but I'll take the strength and cutting power of a fixed over a mech now.

Very good heads, that really do a number on deer when they hit right.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Fork Horn

I have used Spitfires and absolutely loved them. I changed to Rocky Mountain Snypers a couple years ago only because both of my brothers shoot them and I wanted to try to keep some continuity in the group in case one of us needed a broadhead or two.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:19 AM

I love these broadheads. Lots of damage and great cutting. I use the 3 blade 100 grain spitfires. I started with the 2 bladers originally. The first buck I shot with the 2 blade spit fire went right between the ribs and the deer never felt it. He just kept right on eating. He walked 40 more yards and fell right over on his back. LAst year, I busted a button buck(thought it was a doe) through the shoulder, heart and lung.. I broke his shoulder blade.. Broadhead went right through. These bad boys are mean. I will never use anything else.. atleast on a whitetail anyway.. I dont think I would want to shoot a moose with one..
Old 08-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Didn't even know he was hit[:-]My friend uses Spitfires by the way and loves them. Seem to do the job very well. I've watched him take deer and have them drop a few yards from the stand.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea i love em, However..............I REFUSE to pay that much for a broad head.........Now we are just paying for the name! I remember when they first came out, i bought them for 19:99 off the wrack, now there like almost 40.00 for just a 3 pack!! Yea right! Ill stick with my rocky mtn snipers.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:46 PM

I have been shooting them for about five years now. I have had
great success with them with massive bloodtrails. Like turkey fan
said they are expensive, but I have to much confidience in them to
not use them. Thumbs up from me!
Old 08-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

I use the 100 gr. 3 blades and love them. Complete pass thru, double lung and sliced a rib clean in two on a doe last year and stuck in the ground on the other side. Also got a turkey this year with them but shot it in the wing and hip. Turkey flopped around and knocked out the arrow (bent alum). Verdicts still out for turkey. I've been thinking about trying some Muzzy's. Saw some posts about a good broadhead that flew like points... anybody know which ones those are?
Old 08-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

IMHO the worst expandables I have tried. Poor Penatration comepared to the other heads I have shot out of the same bow. They take MORE KE than most anyother brand of expandables.I shot 3 deer with them not one was a pass through switched to grim reapers the next year shot my limit 3 deer all pass throughs. Then I have changed bows so it is unfair to compare them with the rocket sidewinder 4 I shot last year and will be using them again this year.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:59 PM

I used the Spitfire for one year without any real complaints. I harvested all the deer I was able to shoot with them cleanly and with very little tracking involved. Great bloodtrails and good penetration. The entry hole was only a little larger than the head telling me that they opened a little slow but they had awesome exit hole so it wasn't really a issue w/ me. All the deer I shot were pretty well perfectly broadside w/ almost no angle. The angle thing was the only thing that concerned me about this head since the blades came almost all the way to the tip. I am now shooting the Grim Reapers and have harvested some hogs, turkey,deer, and ram with them and they have performed flawlessly. Good Luck on picking a broadhead, goodness knows there are plenty to choose from now a days.