HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   question for N.C hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/106097-question-n-c-hunters.html)

Moose75 07-19-2005 08:13 PM

question for N.C hunters

I am going hunting in N.C. up in Northampton County in 61 days(Sep. 18-22) Can you tell me what to expect? I was told that Northampton County is the best place to hunt in N.C, is that true?

dmax2002 07-19-2005 09:41 PM

RE: question for N.C hunters

Moose,
Northampton has a huge deer population just like Halifax where I hunt. We have does coming out the wazoo. Peanut fields are where the deer will be feeding if there is one on the property. Does and fawns will be in them before dark and the nicer bucks after dark. Hopefully you will have a swamp on your hunting area. Northampton has swamps galore.I would key in on that type of area. The better bucks will bed down in the swamp and come out after dark. If you can get back in there you can ambush a buck on his way out to the fields. I was bowhunting squirrel after deer season and saw 7 bucks come out of the water and filed right past me. I never hunted that close to the swamp before and on that evening regreted it. Some of those bucks were real nice.I am sure you will see lots of deer and odds are you will be offered a shot. Besides Halifax , Northampton is one of the best deer counties.

Rickmur 07-20-2005 04:22 AM

Where in the state is Halifax , Northampton counties?

dmax2002 07-20-2005 09:27 AM

Halifax and Northampton counties are on I-95 at the Virginia / NC border. I can't remember the exact number but just over 5000 deer were reported killed in Halifax county alone the last few years. Imagine the number if all deer killed were actually reported. Peanuts are the primary food source during bow season here. Farmers are planting alot less of itnow and planting cotton instead. We have to keep those workers in China busy. If you have peanuts you have it made.

Moose75 07-20-2005 04:12 PM

Thanks for the info dmax, whats the biggest buck you know of to come out of that area? I will be hunting withtheOcconeecheeLodge.

dmax2002 07-20-2005 08:54 PM

Moose, I think the two deer shown on the cover page for their web site is good example of our larger deer. A good buck by regional standards would be 16" - 17" wide and 8 points. With a great food supply like we have, a deer allowed to live could grow huge. Our seasons are long and we hunt 6 days a week. It puts alot of pressure on a deer just to survive one year. Occoneechee has 8000 acres which is plenty to grow nice deer if they have a good management program. I live about 15 minutes from your hunting area so I know you will see lots of deer. Good luck

BIG EON 07-21-2005 10:31 AM

well as i live IN NC I SAY COME ON OVER TO BIG EONS SPOT AND STICK ONE

:D:D

bybp12 09-17-2012 05:11 AM

All over the mountains of Western North Carolina, we have lots of deer and a lot of big doe's and Bucks! Come take a look and also take a peek at our website!