Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
broadheads, targets, practice, sharpness >

broadheads, targets, practice, sharpness

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadheads, targets, practice, sharpness

Old 09-23-2002, 06:15 PM

Default broadheads, targets, practice, sharpness

Newbie question: I'm worried that if I practice with my broadheads (on my target designed for broadheads) they will be dull when it comes time to hunt. Since so many of you prefer to hunt with new broadheads does that mean you don't practice with those new ones?
Old 09-23-2002, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: broadheads, targets, practice, sharpness

Welcome to the board. Well what I've done is bought new broadheads and a pack of replacement blades. I practice with the hunting blades instead of the practice to give me the true effect of what the broadhead does. I find three arrows that fly true and hit the mark everytime, and practice with those. when it comes time for hunting I replace blades and im ready. cant wait till I can get into the woods............ good luck to ya this year.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot Thunderheads and probably have a couple dozen of them. I shoot and tune and match my hunting arrows and put them in order of accuracy. Right now I have 10 hunters set aside that'll group in a 2 1/2-3 inch circle at 30 yards. The top 6 or so will shoot 2 inch groups. I then replace all the inserts and never shoot them again. If I shoot a hunting broadhead once at anything it gets new blades. No substitute for sharpness. I always have a bunch of used inserts around to tune and practice with.

Old 09-23-2002, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

rhetoric, like the others said. I buy extra blades to install after my arrow/broadhead combos are selected and tune. I got some Magnus Stingers to try, they'll be in my quiver this fall. You can also sharpen the blades on non-replaceable blade broadheads.

Phil.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rhetoric, if you shoot your broadhead one time into the target, the blades are done and shoot not be used for hunting. Use the one shot rule: One shot and they are done, change the blades.

When you buy a new pack, you might as well figure on using one set of blades for practice, interchangable per head to shoot and test and then put the new blades back in and hunt with them. Never use once shot blades to hunt with..

Next season, you'll have this seasons blades(used) to practice with and so and so on.

Everyone should practice with broadheads, it's a must to know the performance of the bow so use blades you don't intend to hunt with....

One shot rule: If the blades have been shot, replace them for hunting purposes.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>
Old 09-23-2002, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, what Rob said. Just one more tip to add. Once you shoot a set of blades and they become 'practice only' blades-run a piece of metal, the back side of the blade works fine, over the edge. That will dull the edge so that you don't get cut while practicing.

Some things are true whether you believe them or not.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

You replace your blades after one shot? Not I.

I have never shot my broadheads at a target. I shoot mechanicals and just use them hunting. After the shot, I sharpen the blades and filter the arrow to the end of the quiver. If it comes back around, I'll use it again.