Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting  troubles >

shooting troubles

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting troubles

Old 07-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default shooting troubles

I am having troubles shooting my bow. I knowthe weightis not to much for me to pull back. My problem is i cant seem to focus on the target. Basically I cant keep the pin sight on where I want my arrow to go. What could be my problem how do I fix this problem?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shooting troubles

If you can,t hold steady on your target then maybe you do need to back down your poundage. Try it and see if it helps, you can always put it back. You might try releasing your air right after you draw and then aim. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Some people can't hold steady. They make very small circlels around the bulls eye and release when it is right on. Mabey try shooting quicker, ortry not to hold so long at first till your mucles get built up.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's pretty hard to say without seeing you shoot. It could be a number of things , like draw weight , draw length , (<being probably the biggest factor) , and different weight adjustments (stabilizers) in the right spot can make the world of difference.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a little target panic building up to me.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Target panic or maybe you're just trying too hard--my best shooting comes when i'm not thinking about every little aspect of drawing,holding,and shooting
Old 07-19-2005, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Settle on it in a calm single minded fashion, breathing through your nose with mouth closed. Don't aim for the target, aim for the bump in the fabric in the center of it or the speck of dust that just landed on it.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:20 AM

Could be your grip. If you're holding the bow too tightly, you may have accuracy problems. If you don't have someone to watch you shoot, try using a video camera. There are so many things that have to come together for accurate shots!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:16 AM

This happens to me when I haven't shot in a couple of months. Best thing to do is for two weeks, pull your bow back (without a arrow) in the house or wherever and pick a spot to aim at and hold you bow on spot for as long as you can. Basically, this builds your muscles and then when you go to shoot you'll find its alot easier to hit your spot.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's much harder to hold steady with a bow that's out of tiller than with one that's properly adjusted to fit your shooting style. Adding mass weight to the bow, keeping proper balance in mind, makes it hold steadier. A bow with very high letoff is harder to hold steady than one with lower letoff. A long stabilizer makes a bow hold steadier (You need one at least a foot long to get any true stabilizing effect. Those short things that are sold as stabilizers would be better named "shock absorbers.") Also the points made about draw length are very important. It's easier to hold steady with a draw length that's slightly too short than it is with one slightly too long.

But there isn't anyone in the world that can hold a pin absolutely rock steady on the aim point. That pin will 'float' around the aim point. With practice, your subconscious will learn to trigger the shot when the sight picture is right. All you have to do is relax and let the shot happen when it wants to. Trying to force the shot when you think it's right will eventually lead to target panic.

Quick Reply: shooting troubles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.