Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial >

Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Old 07-26-2005, 01:47 PM

Default RE: Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

No, I use the carbon blast with my abscent clothes. When I get out of my truck, I spray myself down with the carbon blast.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

The antimicrobial clothing does work.....and well at that.

2 weeks ago I went on vacation and climbed Mt. Whitney. 15hrs 9 min on the trail for the round trip to the summit and back. I wore just a regular Nike Dri-Fit top. My brother-in-law had a similar top with the antimicrobial fabric. After the climb, my shirt could have dragged itself to the laundry, but his barely smelled at all.

If after all of that sweating it was able to keep the stink to a minimum, I am sure it would work wonders in hunting clothes.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:03 PM

I know the military uses the XScent socks not for smell, but for the bacteria. One thing about the military, they generally only use things that work! I don't know what that means for scent, but they trust it to kill bacteria and get rid of sock rot, which directlyshould relate to stink too.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be field testing my new Xscent garments in 14 days! right underneath my Scent lok Liner... eat your heart out ATLAS!!!!!! I mean come on, do you really think everyone in the scent containment industry is a scam artist? The oldest and largest buck I have ever killed came in from dead down wind...and I was very clean and prepaired for that scenario.

I will be glad to talk science with you too.. Regeneration of carbon clothing does not take high intense heats...YES reactivation does... but not regeneration...

Scent lok admitted they did their customers a disservice by phrasing their product as being reactivated. Instead they should have used regeneration. Deer and Deer hunting did a nice article on it in the June 2005 issue..

below is some ofwhat DR. SHULONG LI, and expert in carbon technology and textile applications had to say....

When carbon is used to filter or treat industrial waste it does in fact need to be reactivated at extreme high temperatures, yet when it is needed to remove less volatile substances such as human scent it only need be regenerated. During regenerationat temperatures under 130 degrees removalofsolvents, gasoline vapor, chloroform and methanol all which can be perged by activated carbon.

He goes on to say in Scent loks case... "washing and drying in a home dryer will certainly remove some of the absorbed materials and any of the odors."

There is a big difference between reactivation and regeneration.... and its application in the hunting world.

I personally don't believeany one thingcan totally mask our scent, but a total scent control approach including a carbon suit can help and often weaken our scent enough to allow deer to feel at ease......as ifthe scent is fruther away or not dangerous enough to be alarming to them....I have witnessed it over and over again while hunting, scouting/filming in the hot weather.. 90+ degree days when deer are dead down wind of me... Still playing the wind is key, but in mountains I hunt, thermals and wind currents NEVER play fair, like in the flatlands.....Plus come on, any smart buck is going to come in down wind of any call for the most part.. why not be a little more prepaired by being as clean as you can be, and minimizing as much scent as possible...

My philosophy is simple..A big mature bucks lives by HIS NOSE... NOSE NOSE...why not try to combat your scent in any way that has good science backing it.... test it and if it works..use it..if not..do a way with it..it cant hurt if it helps ...It may mean the difference between a slight foot stomp and then munch munch again...versus an all out SNORT and gone.......
Old 08-16-2005, 04:01 AM
Bartender

Read the following link:
http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_elimination_sprays.html

Peak
Old 08-16-2005, 04:05 AM
Bartender

From the same site part 1 to above, sorry
http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm

Peak
Old 08-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Peak,

I have read that and its talking about REACTIVATION

"Dr. Shulong Li's wrote a response to Corrigan's article and pointed out some inaccuracies and contradictions in Corrigans rhetoric." (Deer and Deer hunting June 5th article.) Once again its NOT REACTIVATION THAT NEEDS TO TAKE PLACE only REGENERATION which Li's responses to Corrigan details.

Once again realize Corrigans premise is that in order for carbon to be reactivated it must reach temperatures of 800 degrees. Regeneration is much much lower, like that of the temperatures in a dryer.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried X-Scent's socks and really liked them. I now own the pants and shirt as well. If you don't believe their products work take their challenge and wear the socks for 4 days straight and see for yourself.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:10 AM

I ordered the enduraskin from Bass Pro and it caused a full blown anaphylactic reaction I dont know if it was the maybe the dye in the material. I am going to use the X- scent and be less itchy..
Old 08-16-2005, 01:49 PM

Do you have an allergy to silver? The liner in Endura Skin is silver ion, I believe. You need to get rid of it??

Quick Reply: Scent Lok vs Antimicrobial

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.