Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Penetration at 60 yards? >

Penetration at 60 yards?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Penetration at 60 yards?

Old 07-17-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Penetration at 60 yards?

I'm starting to get some real consistant groups out to 60 yards, but I'm wondering what kind of penetration I can expect on big game at this range. PSE TyPhoon, 70#, 31" draw, carbons, 100g thunderheads. Anybody got any ideas?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Penetration at 60 yards?

I wouldn't worry so much about the penetration as I would the animal moving while the arrow is flying, a strong gust of wind, a botched shot, etc, etc, and you hitting it in the rear end or stomach, or neck

Having said that IF you hit a deer right behind the shoulder on a broadside shot you will certainly get enough penetration and may get a pass through. On elk that is another story entirely.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:44 PM

I'm not sure I will take a 60 yard shot, I have to see how well I'm shooting when season arrives. If I am getting consistant groups at 60 yards and the conditions are right, I'll make the shot. Today I wouldn't shoot, but by season I may be comfortable enough to make that shot. Yes, I was actually refering to elk.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would have to aim at the moon to get a loaping hit at 60 yards
Old 07-18-2005, 05:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Seriously, 60 yrd shots are best left for the practice range. Too many varables in a hunting situation.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

You are shooting a relatively fast, modern compound bow at 70 pounds with a 31 inch draw length. That, in and of itself, screams penetration to me. The only variable you left open is your arrow weight. You mentioned "carbons" but not what size/type or their weight for that matter. Assuming an appropriate spine for your setup I would wager your arrow weight with most ICS style carbons to be around 420-450 grains. Assuming an arrow speed of at least 275 fps would yield a KE figure, at the bow, of at least 70 ft. lbs. That is plenty of KE for penetration at moderate ranges. Out at 60 yards, assuming perfect conditions, I would imagine that you would still get good penetration assuming a cut on impact or chisel style point broadhead.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

if your arrow is flying good and you hit it in the lungs consider him yours b/c penetration is all arrow flight
Old 07-18-2005, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't worry so much about the penetration as I would the animal moving while the arrow is flying, a strong gust of wind, a botched shot, etc, etc, and you hitting it in the rear end or stomach, or neck
I think bigbulls hit it right on the money IMO.

A good hunter must be aware of variables he can and cannot control.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

I can barely see a deer in the dark woods at 50 yards.I could never imagine taking a 60 yard shot even in a open field.
Its fun just to be able to shoot that far and hit the target though.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

PRACTICE -- and practice only -- is good and even encouraged at 60 yards because it will help your accuracy on the shorter range shots--the shots you should be limiting yourself to. Pentration would most likely be fine, but there's just too many other factors which can influence where your arrow impacts a living animal at that range. Sixty yard shots are strictly for the practice range.

Quick Reply: Penetration at 60 yards?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.