HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   To tune or not to tune? That is the question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/105719-tune-not-tune-question.html)

ash2042 07-16-2005 08:55 AM

To tune or not to tune? That is the question

I have been shooting my Bowtech Allegiance with field points, grouping well. I have not done any tweaking or tuning. I decided to try some broadhead shots(slick trick 100gr) to see how well they shot. They grouped with my field tips. Now for the question, should I mess with the bow, tuning that is(ex. paper tuning or other tuning). I am asking this because nothing has worked out this well for me.

extreme1 07-16-2005 09:04 AM

RE: To tune or not to tune? That is the question

If your broadheads are grouping with your fieldtips,and the bow feels comfy and shooting good for you then dont touch a thing.It was probably set up fine at the shop.

ButchA 07-16-2005 11:18 AM

I agree... Ash2042, leave it be. Just go by the ol' phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". You found the Slick Tricks work well and shoot exactly like your field tips. That's exactly what you want. No tuning involved!

I shoot a heavy old PSE bow with aluminum 2315's and 125gr field tips. They are a bit slow but hit like a Mack truck! I tinkered with 125gr Thunderheads for about 2 years and got them shooting as well as I could (they hit just a hair low, but I just deal with it and compensate for it). I picked up a pack of Magnus Stingers 4 blade in 100gr and they are amazing! They completely blow away my Thunderheads. The Stingers hit exactly in the same spot as my 125gr field tips and fly perfectly straight too. I couldn't ask for more... [8D]

I have been toying with the idea of ordering some Slick Tricks, because everybody is raving about them and how well they fly. But then again, I love how the 100gr Stingers shoot. So, I don't know... There's still plenty of time to goof around with different broadheads and see which shoots the best.

Butch A.

Paul L Mohr 07-16-2005 11:19 AM

If you are happy with it then don't mess with it. I certainly wouldn't waste the time shooting it thru paper. What if it shows a tear, are you going to try and fix it possibly affecting how your fixed blades shoot? Are you going to hunt or shoot paper?

If anything I would move back to a farther distance and see how the fixed blades shoot, if they change or something you might want to do some touch up on them. However if they fly good at the distance you intend to use them at I would leave it alone. Some times you get lucky and things work great right of the gate. Depends on your form, release and how well matched the arrows are.

I would concentrate more you your shooting skills and not worry about the tune of the bow. Tuning is actually a minor part of being able to shoot well.

Paul

manboy 07-16-2005 12:00 PM

YES TUNE YOUR BOW!
i say this because your arrow could be coming out of your bow and hittng rest or spine to weak or to stiff and your arrow fish tailling without you seeing it! if you shoot out to 30+ yards you may see it. if your arrow inters a animal at an angle from not being tuned you will loose alot of penetration! so yes tune it! it may be set already, but don't take that chance! [:@]

Paul L Mohr 07-16-2005 12:57 PM

If his arrow was not flying straight with fixed heads they would not be grouping well or hitting with the field tips. If you can get your bow to do this it is already tuned better than most set ups. This is exactly what you do when you fine tune a bow, why would you change it? And shooting thru paper at this point would be a step backwards in the tuning process.

I'm not saying you couldn't possibly get it better if you shoot really well, but what you have is what most strive for and can't get do to form problems, rest issues or improper spine.

Also the type of head you are shooting and the amount fletch you have will play a big part in it. Bare shaft tuning may help you fine tune it a bit better. Some arrows just shoot well with fixed heads. My nitro stingers were VERY easy to tune with a broad head.

Paul

rybohunter 07-16-2005 01:06 PM

Why would you tune something where the end result is already what you are obtaining. The goal is to have BH and FO impact the same. You've reached that, there is nothing more to do.

BOWFANATIC 07-16-2005 02:15 PM

Aren't slick tricks designed to fly the same as field tips?

My goal when tuning is to achieve the best possible arrow flight that I can , for penetration reasons. Once I achieve that , my broadheads impact the same as my field tips.

Not trying to freak you out or anything , just giving my opinion on tuning.

ash2042 07-16-2005 03:20 PM

Bowfanatic my field points are impacting with broadheads. Yes slick tricks do have very good flight characteristics, advertised to be same as feild points. How would you tune it to get it better. Should I shoot a broadhead with poor flight characteristics, just so they do impact different. I know alot of people say paper tuning is not the best, group tuning is better. I have got the groups so where do I go from here. I am just picking your brain and seeing what others would do. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. keep posting more.

JoshKeller 07-16-2005 03:41 PM

shoot a field point arrow without fletching at 20 yards and see how they fly.