Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What you'll do different this season >

What you'll do different this season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What you'll do different this season

Old 07-16-2005, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default What you'll do different this season

Okay now that the archery deer season is fast approaching,what will you "NOT" do this season that you did last season,maybe something that cost you that biggun or any deer.One that I can mention right now is this......I won't use one of those styrofoam camo padded seats.One of my loc-on stands is so uncomfotable I had to take it the pad along.Well after sitting on it a while it bothered me and I hung it in the tree.Before the hunt I laid a scent trail down this road and suddenly I saw this really nice ten point following the trail.Before I left the trail, I walked past my stand a few yard then doubled back,and left the scent pad, then poured some extra scent on the pad.This buck stopped right there for the broadside shot that I wanted, then all of a sudden he cought some movement up in my tree.It was that danged cushion blowing in the breeze.Well you know what happened then.[:@]How about you all?
Old 07-16-2005, 08:04 AM

Default RE: What you'll do different this season

Lots of things, but to mention a few. Last season I really started paying attention to the wind. Miraculously, I saw more deer, imagine that if you would. I am going to continue my study of air currents in hilly terrain, for one.
Second, I have spent this off season learning maps. I am going to take that knowledge to the deer woods, and broaden my horizons in that aspect.
Third, I will be in stand during the mid day "lull". I had some errands to run one day early November last season, got down about 10:00, back in stand at noon, wasn't there 15 seconds and a 140 class 10 pt passed directly under my stand, with my bow still on the ground. I will not be leaving during mid day this year.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:10 AM

I can't think of much.............maybe get into the habit of drawing my bow sooner. I never want to get stuck at full draw but sometimes I think I wait too long. I will also try to focus more on the spots I feel I have the BEST chance for success. Around here I have a few spots that are sentimental favs but truthfully if I even see a deer there I am having a great day.

In contrast to the above post I will not hunt during the mid day unless it is peak rut. I can count on one hand the number of deer I have killed mid day in the last 17 years.........too many dawn to dark days early in the season and I start to feel burned out.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to hunt with a bow for the first time, which is a BIG change (I've always hunted deer with a ML exclusively). I also plan on using a ground blind rather than employing only natural cover, or actually a combination of the two. Since this will be my first time hunting during the rut I'm also going to definately put more emphasis on using scents and calls than before. Hunting the early and late ML seasons I've never had too much luck with either. I never seem to see any more or less deer with scents and calls than without, and by late ML season the rut is over and the bucks are paranoid as a heck from the shotgun seasons. It's definately going to be a different experience, but one I very much look forward to.

Mike

Old 07-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

had my hand climber portion of my stand up too high. had a doe make a beeline right for me and I couldn't shoot at first because she was coming right at me. she then hung around me at 10 yds till dark. I couldn't get the bow drawn with the angle that she was at. only a doe, but it would have been a record number 4 for the season
Old 07-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

1) Learn to be more quiet.
2) Go farther and deeper into the woods.
3) Try to get away from the Saturday crowds on public land.

(Possible...) Look into a trip this season in another state (one that allows hunting on Sunday!). Currently am looking at either Kentucky or Ohio and their state forests and out-of-state fees, for curiosity sake.

Butch A.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a GREAT year last year but the one thing I have and will do this year that I did not have in the past?

THERMACELL!
Old 07-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll be putting a carbonarrow thru the lungs of the deer I shoot instead of an aluminum one.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

What will I not do? I'll stay home when there's an east wind! Of course I say that every year , and every year I end up going out (just in case) and end up seeing squat.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure there are more things that I won't be doing than what I mention, but lets see what I can come up with.
1. I won't hunt stands when the wind direction is wrong.
2. I won't take my release and/or arrow off until its too dark to shoot (not five min. before like I did and missed an oppertunity at a doe because of it.)
3.I won't fall asleep during the boring times. (at least I'll try not to)
4.I won't leave my stand in mid-day during the rut, or during rifle season.
5.I won't be shooting a buck with less than 4 points. (my goal for this year, last years was a 3 pt.)
6.I won't turn around to see what every little noise is, I'll wait until it comes infront of me.
7. I won't move unless the deer's head is obscured by trees.

Well thats all I can think of right now.

Quick Reply: What you'll do different this season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.