HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How much should we teach? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/105691-how-much-should-we-teach.html)

mobow 07-15-2005 08:49 PM

How much should we teach?

I am quite active in the teaching of my son the art that is deer hunting. He has shot a deer the last 2 years, under my excellent tutalage (hey, I said deer hunting, not spelling). LOL...no, he just shoots really good. Anyway, my question is this. He will be 14 this August, and I have done well at teaching him the basics. You know, how to find deer, read a map, shoot well, hang his stands, that sort of thing.

At what point do we step aside (not abandon) and let them learn the rest on their own?

BOWFANATIC 07-15-2005 08:55 PM

RE: How much should we teach?

At what point do we step aside (not abandon) and let them learn the rest on their own?
Only when the student starts showing up the teacher year after year!:D

Seriously , I'm thankful I had someone to teach me. If their willing to learn , dont stop teaching!

Angus74 07-15-2005 09:02 PM

BOWFANATIC said it when said "If their willing to learn, dont stop teaching." well said.

Tribal 07-15-2005 09:14 PM

You can never learn it all. Teach all you know and you will both still have things to learn.

Washington Hunter 07-15-2005 09:17 PM

Teach him everything you can. Don't stop. Ever.

kevin1 07-15-2005 09:19 PM

One of the greatest lessons that I've ever learned was "Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn ."

lou-lou 07-15-2005 11:32 PM

We never stop learning everday, when he's ready he'll let you know, the first time he goes on his own you'll worry it's your job to, give him the freedom and the choice. Don't stop teaching, soon enough he will be teaching you, you'll become best friends and on top of that your his DAD, nothing like the feeling that your son has earned your respect for being a person and a man and not just because he's your son. Let him go, you will learn from each other. That's something real special.

zak123 07-15-2005 11:38 PM

You should teach him allyou can. I wish I had someone to teach me how to hunt. The only help I get with hunting is from these boards.

nselvis 07-16-2005 02:36 AM

Try some baby steps. Let him do a hunt on his own (morning or afternoon.) Take him out to his stand & tell him you'll be back in a few hours. Set up another stand 50-100 yards away so you're close, or try a pair of those walkie-talkies with the ear buds.

tocs 07-16-2005 04:05 AM

I can't add a whole lot to what already has been said.I do think that as long as he has the interest you never stop.If he loves it as time goes by your interaction will become more of a sharing instead of all the information going from you to him.He will start bringing things to your attention that will be his interpretation of what he is seeing.
From an establishing an independence point of view,I think you have to go with your gut on that,is he so well schooled and responsible in his climbing of tree's and his use of the proper climbing belts and safety belts,the handling of broadheads etc.
I would be inclined to be in the same tree with him for quite a while,you can use the excuse of videoing his hunts so it doesn't feel to him like you are babying him.He will let you know when he is ready,I think it will happen naturally.
He is lucky to have a dad that is so involved with him,that is about the best investment of your time that you can make!