HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Wal-Mart minus the sporting goods. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/10559-wal-mart-minus-sporting-goods.html)

JCNinOKC 09-23-2002 11:05 AM

Wal-Mart minus the sporting goods.

On one of the topics concerning Muzzy broadheads a comment was made on Wal-Mart phasing out their sporting goods and hunting departments. I am in the distribution business and I really don't see that happenning. I have seen what happenned when KMart decided to follow the advice of Rosie O' and ticked off the hunters across the nation. I could never see Wal-Mart shooting themselves in the foot by doing the same thing. Hunters across the land boycotting Wal-Mart would lead to their demise just like it has KMart. I just don't think it will ever happen!!

Rangeball 09-23-2002 11:09 AM

RE: Wal-Mart minus the sporting goods.

For what it's worth, Walmart is also now sponsoring a sportsmen tv show.

Deleted User 09-23-2002 11:14 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

amosgreg 09-23-2002 11:46 AM

In this day and age of increasing operating cost, inorder to stay in business, much less turn a profit, you need to appeal to ALL shoppers. Wal-mart in smaller towns(not that 250,000 is necessarily small) fills a nitch that a speciality store cannot hope to. I'm glad the manager of your store is looking ot increase selection for you lazyarcher!
It sure makes life tough when the only store in the area is closed!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!

cyclone 09-23-2002 12:01 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
We have 2 gun shops--one closes this fall, and the other will likely follow suite within a year--both victems to an extent, of the growing anti-hunting/anti gun movement in the urban centers.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

More than likely closed due to the Walmart moving in. They cannot compete with the Wally! Wally World would most likely feel the same pressures from anti's as would those small gunshops...Why do you think that Wally doesn't sell handguns?

When our Wally opened, there were many small businesses that closed immediately. Couldn't compete with the giant..

Don't hold your breath waiting for that expanded selection. Wally's there to serve the masses, they buy what's best for Wally, not you...Not bashing them, I do a lot of my shopping there..

Edited by - cyclone on 09/23/2002 13:03:22