HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Holy Smokes. I may just hunt with my bow at 60# (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/105582-holy-smokes-i-may-just-hunt-my-bow-60-a.html)

Buck Magnet 07-14-2005 08:36 PM

Holy Smokes. I may just hunt with my bow at 60#

Thats what I was saying yesterday when I shot my Allegiance through a chrono. I backed the bow down from 70# to 60# and shot a 440 grain arrow out of it. It is 30" draw length with a brass nock, a fletcher tru-peep, and 2 rubber eliminator buttons on it. I was shocked to see that this thing was still throwing arrows at 274 f.p.s. :) I may just keep it down around the 62-64# mark for huntig this year. Heck, at 64# I should be shooting around 280 with a440 grain arrow, and that is still 76 ft-lbs of KE.

I also got a chance to shoot a 404 grain BlackHawk Vapor arrow out of the bow when she was set at 71# and I was getting 303 f.p.s. I chucked one of those down at the screen on my screen shoot and WOW, it sounded like a shotgun going off when I hit that screen :D

Washington Hunter 07-14-2005 08:47 PM

RE: Holy Smokes. I may just hunt with my bow at 60#

Your bow is going to perform it's best maxed out, but if you're happy shooting it at 60# then I suppose you should just stay there.

Allseasonhunter7 07-14-2005 09:39 PM

it doesnt matter you should be able to pull your bow back smooth and w/o struggling

onehornjimmy 07-14-2005 09:42 PM

I used toshootright around 70# as well. I always heard shoot your bow maxed out and speed, speed, speed. I could comfortably draw my bow at 70#.
Ultimately, it cost me a dandy buck.Late season bowhunting in Northern Wisconsin is always snowy and COLD. Long story short...long afternoon, weather in the teens, nice buck comes by, I try to draw and COULD not muster the strength to do it! I will never stop kicking myself for not taking the weather conditions into consideration. I have also heard of guys drawing at weird angles to avoid keeping bustedbydeer, and not being able to.

Inow shoot around62# - I am not a big speed freak anyway...andI am also more comftable and confident.

Matt / PA 07-14-2005 11:20 PM

Ahhh Grasshopper.......Lessons learned slowly are better than lessons never learned.

Africasunrise 07-15-2005 12:50 AM

I visited our local bow shop yesterday to buy the Bowtech Allegiance with the Equalizer Binary Cam system. I also needed a 2nd string/cable replacement on my old Patriot single cam 2002 model. After adding a new rest, sights and string/cable (old ones took some serious hammering) I just could not motivate the buying of a new bow.
The Bt.Alleg. i tested was set to 80 pounds and I have to say it actually felt like my Pat. set at 70p. For the rest, - 6 for the one, half a dozen for thee other.
Maybe its because a know my old Pat. so well that I stuck to it?
I’m not big on 3d shoots and competitions and mainly use it for hunting.
I only had 20 shots with the Allegiance and its quite new in SA (I did do my homework on the new futures and abilities of the Alleg.) so any hands-on input would be welcome.
I posted the above post a while back. I have shot the Alleg. again and was quite impressed. Things have change since, one of my hunting buddies and best friend shoots a BT extreme solo. He tried my pat. Over the weekend and just loved it. His a bit short on money at the moment and we’re now going to the pro shop to sell his ES so he can take my Pat. I would then use that money to help pay for a new Allegiance for myself. Are we doing the right thing here?

PABowhntr 07-15-2005 06:31 AM

Yes, those Equalizer cam bows put out some impressive numbers no matter where you have them set along their draw weight range. I have my Old Glory set at 60# and have been putting 380 grain arrows out at 286 fps with a fully loaded bowstring. Can't ask for much better performance for 3D. Come hunting season I will be pushing those 440 grain arrows at around 265. Plenty of KE to play around with. ;)

elkaddict 07-15-2005 09:18 AM

Africa Sunrise

I too have been coveting an Allegiance. As soon as I can sell one of my Patriots, I'll buy one. Despite my best efforts, I've been unable to rationalize the need for 3 bowtechs. While I shoot both of my Patriots every week to keep both them tuned and ready to hunt, there would be hell to pay if the wife were to see a third rigged up bow in the house. Unfortunately, she knows what they cost!:eek:

Tuffbroadhead 07-15-2005 09:30 AM

You will notice that since you backed your bow down to around 60lbs it will be quiter also...one thing most bowhunters learn over time is that how fast you bow is dont get them in your freezer, its quietness and accuracy....

datamax 07-15-2005 09:44 AM

Hunt with 50 pounds and you've got way more than you need for whitetails.

Most compounders are way overbowed (draw weight) IMO