Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadheads for HOGS >

Broadheads for HOGS

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads for HOGS

Old 07-14-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Broadheads for HOGS

Is it a mistake to use a mechanical broadhead on a hog even when you have a fast bow?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Broadheads for HOGS

Probably depends-- I assume a cut on contact would penetrate better for obvious reasons, but it you are shooting a heavy arrow at a fast speed you probably could use something like a steelhead and be ok, but if you are shooting a light arrow to get that speed, you would probably want to avoid it...
Old 07-14-2005, 05:23 PM

The best mechanical head in my opinion is the Game Tracker First cut 125. It has a nice two bladed broadhead up front with the expandables in the back. If you are hunting hogs in heavy brush or thick palmettos, you need blood fast. I've seen a trophy boar who was hit in the lungs with a foward angle and he still was never recovered, He didn't bleed fast enough and that thick skin will seal a whole fast. If you don't have a direction right away, there is a good chance you will lose him in thick cover. I've seen that First Cut completly pass through a huge sow and we had a blood trail like a sidewalk. If you have the luxary of open counrty, you may just want to use a heavy duty broadhead for good penetration in a possible plate hit. They might go a little further with an expandable hit, but at least you have a great blood trail to find them. That sow only made it 50 yards. In thick cover with no blood, you'll be lookin for a needle in a hay stack. I learned fast that they're not whitetails.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't use them.One spot that I learned to aim for on hogs is thetop jointof the shoulder.If you don't have enough kinnetic energy to open some of the mechanicles you will more than likely have a tough time recovering.I preffer my muzzy's.One of the guys that turned me on to hog hunting in Florida and killed more than anyone I ever have known used to always tout muzzys and fixed heads,he just this season reconsidered and mentioned one mechanicle,yet I don't remember the name.I'll find out and post.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would stick with cut on contacts myself.

ButI did witness a buddy of mine score on a good sized (~230#) boar with a sidewinder and got a complete pass through. I was about 30 yards away in another tree when they came in. As they scatteredI picked out a youngin and nailed it with a muzzy- yummy yummy.

He was shooting a legacy at 70# with some of the heavier carbon arrows.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:33 AM

I used the Eastmans Outfitters 3 blade mechanicals in 100gr. and a 353 gr. arrow and it did a great job on the hogs. I killed three hogs all over 150 lbs. w/ complete pass thrus. I haveused fixed broadheads also but the mechanicals do a fine job w/ enough kinetic energy.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

I have be lucky enough to harvest some truly awesome hogs in the past three years, (one monster is in my avatar pic) even won a big hog contest in south Texas which is not easy to do.. When is comes to getting penitration on a old big boar hog, you just cant shoot them like you would a deer or other critter, your best chance at a good harvest is to wait till the hog gets 1/4 away from you and get a good shot, boar hogs develop and very tough and thick grissel layer called a sheild on the front third of there body and can stop most broadheads, Almost ruling out the use of a mech head... Yes there are hunters out there that do use mech heads on hogs and have some good success. But in all honesty I would recommend a good cut on contact Broadhead Like Montec's, or Razor Caps, there is alot of good head out there ....good luck !!
Old 07-16-2005, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html

Read through my link and some of the other pages on the sight. A lot depends on your overall Kinetic energy and how well your bow is tuned.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, it's a mistake to use a mechanical broadhead on any game. Take the time to tune your setup and you won't need to shoot mechanicals. For hogs a good fixed broad head as the NAP Thunderhead or Razorbak cut on contact or Muzzy will be much more reliable than ANY mechanical available.
Good Hunting....
Old 07-16-2005, 08:00 AM

3 of us from Maine just returned from a hog hunt in Florida. We all shot a pig. I used a 90 grain 4 blade Muzzy, (complete pass-through )

Bigbuck270 shot the Slicktricks (complete pass-through)

Andrew shot a Cabelas 3 blade mechanical (complete pass-through)

All shots were from 15-20 yards. None of the hogs went any farther than 60 yards. 2 of them were shot during the heavy rains of hurricane Dennis so we had no blood trail to follow. Luckily they were found.

Quick Reply: Broadheads for HOGS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.